Joint universal credit

Options
Hi, this is my first post just looking for a little advice.
I will soon be moving out of supported accommodation to get a place with my partner so will be moving off income support and onto universal credit.
We will be applying for a joint claim but he is currently already on uc and may be about to face a section for missing an appointment, I was wondering if his sanction would affect the beginning of our claim/the amount we will get to start with
Thanks in advance

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Make sure he has another appointment quickly, to reduce sanction amount. The sanction is a daily amount applied from the date failed to attend up to the date they are back in compliance by attending Job Centre and meeting their commitment.

If you move in with him, yes the sanction would affect the amount of UC you will receive as a couple.

Under UC, the benefit money is paid into one account. If you are joining his current UC claim, the money would go into his Bank Account. You might want to encourage him, to request a change of Bank details on the couple claim, so you receive the money under the couple claim in your Bank account. Given that he has been unreliable attending the Job Centre, would you trust him to pay important bills. E.g council tax, rent, gas/electric ?

Can I suggest that you ask him to log into his Universal Credit claim while you are with him. Have a look at his UC statements to see what deductions are being made. Are there sanctions being deducted ? Are there any advance loans being repaid ? Are there any debts being repaid ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Doneill
    Doneill Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    The plan is to have the joint uc going to my account anyway but the reason he missed his appointment was because I got taken to hospital, he's arranged for a new appointment but the soonest they have one isn't for a week and a half
  • Alice_Holt
    edited 11 May 2018 at 2:53PM
    Options
    Doneill wrote: »
    The plan is to have the joint uc going to my account anyway but the reason he missed his appointment was because I got taken to hospital, he's arranged for a new appointment but the soonest they have one isn't for a week and a half

He should challenge the sanction:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/sanctions/challenging-a-sanction/
    giving his "good reason".
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-challenging-universal-credit-sanctions-1

" The Decision Makers Guide (see para.34200 onwards) gives detailed guidance to DWP decision-makers on what could or could not constitute a good reason and it may be helpful to refer to or quote any paragraphs or examples which are favourable to your case. "
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/689961/dmgch34.pdf
    I would think this may come under the definition of a domestic emergency.

I believe the sanction should stop when he agreed to the rescheduled meeting.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Doneill
    Doneill Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    What happens to individual next payments (my income support, his uc) when you send off for a joint claim? Will a payment due in a week be cancelled?
  • Alice_Holt
    Options
    Doneill wrote: »
    What happens to individual next payments (my income support, his uc) when you send off for a joint claim? Will a payment due in a week be cancelled?

The other reason for challenging a sanction is that they get progressively more severe.

Difficult to answer your Q as it presumably depends on DWP processing times and schedules.
    Generally when a UC claim is lodged the legacy benefits (Income Support) cease.
  • huckster
    Options
    Suggest they go to the Job Centre to sort out an earlier appointment, as the Job Centres have more availability than can be seen by service centres booking the appointments.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Catnip63
    Catnip63 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The compliance would be when he made contact to re engage not the actual date of interview, so won't be penalised by how busy the job centre is.
  • huckster
    Options
    Catnip63 wrote: »
    The compliance would be when he made contact to re engage not the actual date of interview, so won't be penalised by how busy the job centre is.

Yes, but was thinking that they might be more likely to attend an earlier appointment and get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure