PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Planning Permission Information

Options
Hello

Not sure where to put this post so please advise if it's in the wrong forum....

We bought a house last year which faces another house side on. So their wall is directly opposite our front window. It's currently a small brick wall all around their property so our view is not obscured.

It was recently sold and the new owners bought to rent.

I randomly bumped into the new owners measuring the walls so asked why, and they casually explained that they are planning to put a new wooden fence up all around their house, 1.8m / 6ft high. He mumbled something about planning permission but it was very clear he had no intention of asking me or our neighbours about it, or even just informing us.

I want some advice on what our rights are here - can they do this without permission from us?

The fence will have a definite impact on our view onto the street and obstruct natural light getting into our kitchen. It will also have an impact on selling potential in the future but I have been informed this isn't something that the council will take into consideration when making a decision.

I have had a look at the planning website for the council and no plans have been submitted as of yet. Is there anything I can do from now to prepare contesting this? They don't live at the property so we can't speak to them directly.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is planning permission required for a 6 foot high boundary?

Whose boundary is it?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kenzie123 wrote: »
    I randomly bumped into the new owners measuring the walls so asked why, and they casually explained that they are planning to put a new wooden fence up all around their house, 1.8m / 6ft high. He mumbled something about planning permission but it was very clear he had no intention of asking me or our neighbours about it, or even just informing us.
    If either building is listed or in a conservation area then planning consent might be required, and you would be entitled to object. Whether your objection would lead to refusal would depend on the grounds for objection, and the council's view on whether your rights outweigh the neighbour's rights.

If not listed or a conservation area, then does either property have a planning condition in relation to the form (height and type) of boundary?

If no, then your last hope might be any restrictive covenants on your neighbour's property. Were they built at the same time?
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello

......they are planning to put a new wooden fence up all around their house, 1.8m / 6ft high. He mumbled something about planning permission but it was very clear he had no intention of asking me or our neighbours about it, or even just informing us.
    He does not need to inform you or the neighbours (though it is polite to do so).

If Planning Permission is applied for, the council will notify affected nearby residences and place a notice on a nearby lamp post and in the local paper.

* is the fence on a boundary next to a highway used by vehicles? If yes, PP is needed.
    * is the property listed or next to a listed building? Or in a conservation area? If yes, PP is needed.
    * has a planning restriction been placed on the property? If yes, PP is needed.
    * is there a covenant in the Deeds prohibiting a fence? If yes, a fence cannot be erected.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls
  • tlc678910
    Options
    Planning permission appears to be needed for a fence over 1 metre high next to a road if that applies. You could contact your local planning enforcement dept and object if this applies. https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

If you are not too late, why not offer to pay and erect a slightly shorter fence. The fence may be well intentioned, to stop the renters bothering you and neighbours.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A 1.8m boundary fence between two properties is usually a possibility, unless special conditions operate, as already described by GM and Each Penny.

That's the legal situation and even if the local authority were involved in granting permission, they might not contact you personally.

There's no hint in your post, but I wonder whether you properly raised your concerns when the landlord started mumbling about planning permission.

Irrespective of the legal position, communication may be the key here, as it's in the landlord's best interest not to cause undue friction with the neighbours. If he is really going for PP, you have time to write and explain things from your point of view. Perhaps you can meet each other half way?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »

Irrespective of the legal position, communication may be the key here, as it's in the landlord's best interest not to cause undue friction with the neighbours. If he is really going for PP, you have time to write and explain things from your point of view. Perhaps you can meet each other half way?
    Seems a long time sine I mentioned tea and cake!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure