once daily sun cream recommendations

Options

Comments

• sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Options
    My wife uses Malibu clear all day protection 50, it dries with little residue and has lasted entire days in the Greek summer sun without any burning or tanning at all. Its a bit of a bargain at £4.99 from places like Home Bargains, performance wise can't tell any difference from P20 at 3 times the price.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,352 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have used many over the years, but this year (just got back Sunday from Vegas where it was 115 deg) we used Aldi own brand after seeing it winning several TV tests.
    It was brilliant, I hate greasy cream and this is not, it rubs in well and protected excellently. it is SPF 30 but 5* for UVA.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • wazza99
    wazza99 Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ultrasun....expensive but works well, Calypso nice and cheap and seems to work well also, used both without issues.

Gut feeling tells me if your applying once a day go Ultrasun, ive used this in Egypt many times and always had no issues with sunburn.
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Also use Ultrasun, I use family 30 am mixed race partner is fair skinned but grumbles at putting on the Sport 20, as long as you apply it correctly and take shade breaks it is good all day in our experience. It is designed to bond to clean dry skin, wait till its fully absorbed 15-30 minutes before going out it has worked for us and have been using it around 10 years.Although its quite expensive it keeps 2 years once opened so all gets used.
  • SeagullFTB
    SeagullFTB Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I was always doubtful about the reliability of once a day sun lotions, but decided to give them a try when I visited Mexico last year. I used Malibu SPF 50, which I got on Amazon for about £6 a bottle.

It worked well during the day trips in 30+ degree heat. But if I was lounging at the hotel and dipping in and out the pool, I'd reapply it after coming out of the water just to be on the safe side. Not sure it was necessary but I didn't burn at all.
  • happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use P20 but would recommend Sunsense as an alternative, it is an Australian spf50 that you can buy in the Uk, a nice thin lotion that spreads easily. Partner who is very fair uses this and has never burnt.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,750 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all, went for Altruist in the end, so impressed with it! goes on easily and no mess, no grease I love it

Took P20 with me anyway, but didnt even open it. Realise now just how greasy it makes me feel :(

Im an altruist convert
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    britishboy wrote: »
    Thanks all, went for Altruist in the end, so impressed with it! goes on easily and no mess, no grease I love it

Took P20 with me anyway, but didnt even open it. Realise now just how greasy it makes me feel :(

Im an altruist convert

Just seen this thread. I'm another Altruist user, having had it recommended on a melanoma facebook group. It's great stuff and it has no nasties in it that are often added to SPF. I don't use it on my face because I have a skin health regime for that so use a medical grade SPF which I use 365 days a year.

I also wouldn't touch once a day stuff. The Daily Mail (ok, I know it's the Mail) published an article about it. Tested (on the face) at 9am and again 8 hrs later and the difference is scary and the tester didn't wear make up, didn't get her face wet and didn't exercise. The pictures are hard to argue with being as they were done independently by a Harley St aesthetics clinic.

I was an Ultrasun user prior to Altruist but I wouldn't go back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7202289/Does-day-sunscreen-work-Relying-leave-dangerously-exposed.html

It's just another in a long line of articles about once a day stuff not doing a proper job of protecting the skin.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just seen this thread. I'm another Altruist user, having had it recommended on a melanoma facebook group. It's great stuff and it has no nasties in it that are often added to SPF. I don't use it on my face because I have a skin health regime for that so use a medical grade SPF which I use 365 days a year.

I also wouldn't touch once a day stuff. The Daily Mail (ok, I know it's the Mail) published an article about it. Tested (on the face) at 9am and again 8 hrs later and the difference is scary and the tester didn't wear make up, didn't get her face wet and didn't exercise. The pictures are hard to argue with being as they were done independently by a Harley St aesthetics clinic.

I was an Ultrasun user prior to Altruist but I wouldn't go back.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7202289/Does-day-sunscreen-work-Relying-leave-dangerously-exposed.html

It's just another in a long line of articles about once a day stuff not doing a proper job of protecting the skin.

Even though this shows the protection has reduced significantly by the end of the day i have exclusively used P20 for at least 4 years and i have never been sun burned in that time. I have only ever applied it once in the morning each day and even after swimming i have never been burnt.

I've even had people comment on how i don't have a sun tan after being away for a week.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I changed to Calypso from P20 (I get prickly heat with normal sun cream) and don't see any difference between the products apart from the price tbh. Bodycare and Aldi usually sell it.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure