Amazon Flex - Tips and Opinions

Options
Hi all

I’ve been topping up my monthly income (saving for a mortgage deposit!) by picking up a few shifts at Amazon Flex. I’ve been doing this since October and for anyone looking at vacancies in this role, I would recommend - the money made far outstretches the time/effort that it takes out of me.

Essentially I am self employed in this role. I’ve read that the first £1000 made in this job doesn’t need to be declared or sent in with tax self assessments. Can anyone confirm this??

Comments

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    What is the job - are you working in the warehouse, doing deliveries?
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • MrHarvey
    MrHarvey Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It’s a delivery role, using my own vehicle.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take it you have changed your insurance policy to reflect your doing deliveries on a s/employed business ?
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    I take it you have changed your insurance policy to reflect your doing deliveries on a s/employed business ?

Following on from this i take it you put your seat belt on to reflect youre driving your vehicle within the law?
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MrHarvey wrote: »
    Hi all

I’ve been topping up my monthly income (saving for a mortgage deposit!) by picking up a few shifts at Amazon Flex. I’ve been doing this since October and for anyone looking at vacancies in this role, I would recommend - the money made far outstretches the time/effort that it takes out of me.

Essentially I am self employed in this role. I’ve read that the first £1000 made in this job doesn’t need to be declared or sent in with tax self assessments. Can anyone confirm this??

Can you provide a link to that advice?

If this is additional income, you need to pay tax & NI on it (assuming you've used your personal allowance in your normal job).

If you're self employed, your accountant will help you claim the running costs on your tax bill for the Amazon Flex job.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    spadoosh wrote: »
    Following on from this i take it you put your seat belt on to reflect youre driving your vehicle within the law?

I'm not sure that this was said tongue in cheek but DCFC79 raises an important point. If the OP has an accident whilst doing his deliveries and doesn't have suitable insurance, they could find themselves a lot worse off
  • MrHarvey
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies and taking time to read the original post. I can’t post a link as new user, I’ve been told. It’s on the ‘go Self Employed’ website though under an article entitled ‘Tax Advice For Self Employed Amazon Flex Drivers’. A google search for Amazon Flex Tax brings it up as the top hit, for me. I will post the link on this thread when I’m able to - not sure when my new user tag lifts though!

Insurance has been changed accordingly, thank you. My 9 - 5 requires me to use my own vehicle, so didn’t take too much adapting or rise in cost!

Also seat belt is worn, oil and water checked, tyres of the appropriate PSI. I will hold my hands up for the dodgy taste in music and the odd crisp packet though.

Cheers
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume this is the allowance in question https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income This is on total income, not profit, so you can't for instance take the cost of your insurance or vehicle into account.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • MrHarvey
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Theoretica

Yes that’s the gov link that was in the article I mention. Thanks for posting!

Reading through it, it reiterates what I mentioned previously - self-employed income less than £1000 doesn’t have to be declared. Is that your understanding?

If so, I hope it helps others as it’s not something that I’ve heard mentioned from speaking to other people!
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Well it's something I didn't know about. You live and learn.

Good luck with your side hustle, some of my happiest working days were in a van delivering stuff:)
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure