Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you?

Options

Comments

• Simmo71
    Simmo71 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've only just found this thread, I wish I'd found it years ago. The pain and suffering inflicted by creditors on some people is barbaric. Until I started struggling with debt & falling income some 10 years ago, I'd hear stories about people ending up 10/20/50k in debt and I'd wonder how on Earth could they be so stupid, and how it must've been their own fault. But a drop in income, coupled with ill health for my wife, then compounded by redundancy, and I learnt the hard way just how easy it was to become 'one of those people'. I can't tell you what a low ebb I found myself in. I'd always been a confident, resilient person but the constant letters & phonecalls from creditors, then solicitors letters from debt collections firms threatening allsorts had me feeling rock bottom. I was trying my best to keep a roof over the family's head, and not let the kids or family find out what a mess we were in, and spent lord knows how many nights wide awake wondering how the hell I could drag us out of the abyss. I was trying so hard to keep it all on my own shoulders and not let anybody else get affected. Every day it was the first thing on my mind when I woke up, and the last thing on my mind at bedtime. It was torture. I consider myself incredibly lucky that I've since been able to earn a decent wage and get us heading in the right direction via an IVA, but I can only imagine the distress suffered by people who have the bailiffs knocking on the door and taking their stuff in full view of the kids. Having seen the cynical practices of firms like MBNA up close, it disgusts me the power they have over vulnerable people. It's just good to see the support from like-minded people on here, knowing you're not alone can see you through some very dark times.
  • simonineaston
    Options
    Hi all,
    I wouldn't say that I suffer from depression or anxiety as such, but I've had a fairly unsatisfactory relationship with money over the years! On the whole, I find it very difficult to face up to dealing with stuff like this, (by which I suppose I mean, acting in time to meet deadlines and paying up what I owe...). I got to about my late thirties before I realized that the only way I was going to get through life without ending up in court would be to get a low paid but dependable job, sort out a bank account and get everything I owed onto direct debits. I suppose I have to congratulate myself, looking back, that I managed to achieve this ambition!
    Even so, it was another decade or so before I managed to acquire the will to pay off all my credit card bills and get debt free ( it can be done folks, it can be done!!). However, I'm still as bad at facing up to things in a timely manner as I ever was - the more important something is, the less I seem to be able to make the crucial decision about what to do next. Its depressing to find yourself acting like this, but I honestly don't think I'll ever change - people who can take decisions look at me as if I'm mad, when they find that weeks - months - have passed since they last spoke to me on the subject of my latest dilema and that I still haven't bitten the bullet. My default position when faced with this sort of stress is to simply forget about it... a trick that I'm apparently rather good at! I don't think I'm alone though...
  • armouredbeast
    armouredbeast Posts: 20 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2018 at 4:28PM
    Options
    Has being in debt caused you stress and anxiety?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Although I have not had sleepless nights about it, but it definitely did affect all aspects of my life, especially my professional life. I have been lumped with this debt since 2011, but luckily for me it is not a huge debt.
    I am now on the mend and slowly paying off my debt (£3600 down from £7900) and hoping to start my master's next year so i could kick start the career that I am most passionate about.
  • NowInspired
    Options
    Sometimes I feel I'm coping out and in control but other times when certain organisations do not communicate or treat us unfairly, I do still have days when I am very stressed/frustrated. It's an emotional roller coaster.
  • lulabelle01
    Options
    I’m just beginning to face up to my debts and have sent holding letters to my creditors. I’m not sleeping well and feeling really anxious about everything. I know a DMP is the best route for me sorting everything out but I’m worried. Im worrying about being kicked out of my house and not having anywhere to live because my credit rating will be shot to pieces. I’m worrying about my bills going up and not being able to save anything for emergencies. I’m worried about not having access to credit which is ironic as that’s what’s got me into this mess. It’s got to the point where I’m worried to get out of bed because I don’t know what the world is going to throw at me.
  • CAPTAIN_PLANET_2
    CAPTAIN_PLANET_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 25 October 2018 at 11:54AM
    Options
    I just want to say well done to everyone on here trying! I know it's not easy.
  • Rocker8742
    Options
    It's unreal the effect that debt appears to have on people.

Personally i know by myself and my wife really suffer with it and constantly being chased by creditors just makes it even worse. Let alone the constant not wanting to answer the door for not knowing if its someone coming to collect money that we don't have.

It just seems to wear you down the longer it goes on the worse it gets for me and every time I think we're getting closer to the end and things are looking more positive because there's a credit card nearing being cleared suddenly we get a stark reminder that we can't afford to pay our utility bills and our supplier has passed it on to a debt collector despite being told over and over that we cannot afford to pay any more than we are.

All the while struggling with the anxiety of not being able to speak to anyone on the phone or answer unknown numbers as it will just set me off, which given most of the time they call while I'm at work is not going to do anyone any favours.

Just wish there was a sensible way out where they would actually understand and help rather than just chase for money.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Rocker - I see you have also posted on the Energy board re your electricity bills.

Do follow up the advice you have been given there.

One step at a time.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • anfieldred
    anfieldred Posts: 267 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2018 at 11:48AM
    Options
    I find it laughable that Lloyds Bank are using mental health in their tv ads. Their overdraft charges are pushing people further into debt, taking the difference between someone just about managing, and making them struggle. When you phone and ask for help, they offer you the whopping sum of 1 week without charges.

That's having a negative impact on people's mental health, but their answer is a tv advert and slap a post it note on your head (literally!): https://www.lloydsbank.com/help-guidance/gettheinsideout.asp
  • NowInspired
    Options
    I couldn't agree more, Lloyds have caused me more stress than any of the other creditors, yet they claim to be "By your side" in the adverts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback