Debt and Mental Health - How have your debts affected you?

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• SuperShaun
    SuperShaun Posts: 23 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Having been strggling to get to grips with it for such a long time - it greys any future plans for me.

I don't really have any aspirations any more as having them leads to frustration when they inevitably don't happen.
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well while debt stressed me out more than anything, then 2 and a half years ago, when I decided to take control, or rather had pushed my debt beyond the limit, I got a DMP and have slowly built back my self confidence and money skills - along with my tiny savings alongside debt payments, and I feel incredibly happy and in control, except over the things I can't control - like credit score and limited holiday plans as no credit card, but then I cant really afford holidays anyways. Just so much better.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • LegoHead
    LegoHead Posts: 178 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have suffered from bad anxiety and panic attacks over last few years. Finally came off pills in June and starting to get my life back under control. I earn good money and have been spending uncontrollably on gadgets and bits and pieces. I am slighty addicted to tools and playing in my home workshop. I have now come to a point where I just have to tell myself I can't afford to buy the things I want and that is ok. I have plenty of other things at home that can keep me occupied.

For me I found the best thing to improve my mood is running a couple times a week and not drinking any alcohol. Although at the moment I am finding it very hard to get outside.

Anyone else stuck in a rut and want to make a pact to go running this week?

Debt Free April 2023 and now a mortgage free Wannabe
  • Graham1982
    Options
    I am no-longer in uncontrollable debt. I have one consolidation loan with about 4.5k left to pay on it and this has been running for two years. Unfortunately, I think when I was in debt the constant euphoria/come down associated with being paid and then within three days having 10 pounds in my bank account after all debts were serviced was becoming very wearing. I never got to the stage of debt collectors or defaults but I became very fatalistic about not getting out of debt. I was refused loans to consolidate due to being at the limit of my cards and therefore for a while, missing a payment or being late with one I thought wasn't really an issue because I thought I would never get out of the debt in any event so would never buy a house etc.

I can honestly say having manageable debt that is being paid off and a savings pot that I am adding to is the best thing for my mental health. I really wish that I listened to my parents when I was younger. From the age of 16 I had tons of retail jobs whilst at uni and college but just frittered the money away and got a credit card to boot. If I had saved some of that income, life would have been far better far quicker.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback