Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can this either be proved or disproved?

Yes it can.
    Nonetheless, he is a scoundrel and the mere idea that he’s ( was?) considered pm material is depressing.
    I don't think he is a scoundrel. However, he is not PM material but you can understand why people like him when you look at the lies and ineffectiveness both May and Corbyn give out on a daily basis. If trust is lost in the mainstream then those on the outer edge gain traction.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rheumatoid
    Rheumatoid Posts: 887 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Yes it can.

Go on then. Enlighten us as to all of his financial dealings please. Interested to see what he's been up to.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • dunstonh
    Options
    Rheumatoid wrote: »
    Go on then. Enlighten us as to all of his financial dealings please. Interested to see what he's been up to.

The information on Somerset Capital Management is public domain. If you are too lazy to read it yourself then I am not going to do it for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rheumatoid
    Rheumatoid Posts: 887 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not to lazy. My interpretation of the OP's question is that it was RM's personal wealth being squirrelled away. He did not mention his company assets - I think you made that assumption. I am perfectly aware his business dealings are available thank you.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I understand that the Brexiteer General, Rees-Mogg (and friends) is busy squirrelling his money away 'off-shore' in e.g. Ireland ('other off-shore tax havens are available') to protect it if the worst/Brexit happens.

I have no doubt that most of Rees-Mogg's money is invested abroad, just like any UK investor should have the majority of their money invested abroad, regardless of what the political panic of the month is.

Most of the population of this forum who have money invested will have most of it "squirreled off-shore", unless they are massively overweight in UK equities.

As for where Rees-Mogg's money is domiciled, that is up to him and his tax advisers, but Brexit is completely irrelevant as far as that goes.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    My interpretation of the OP's question is that it was RM's personal wealth being squirrelled away.

My interpretation of the OP post was different due to the specific mention of Ireland and the ranting nature of it.
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    :cool:
    Malthusian wrote: »
    I have no doubt that most of Rees-Mogg's money is invested abroad, just like any UK investor should have the majority of their money invested abroad, regardless of what the political panic of the month is.

Most of the population of this forum who have money invested will have most of it "squirreled off-shore", unless they are massively overweight in UK equities.

As for where Rees-Mogg's money is domiciled, that is up to him and his tax advisers, but Brexit is completely irrelevant as far as that goes.

Far from irrelevant if he’s set himself up to profit from a reversal in the economy of the country he wants to lead.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »

Why would anyone have most of their money invested off shore unless they thought the pound was going to crash or the U.K. was in for a recession? If you truly believed brexit was about to lead us into a land of milk and honey, you’d have every penny here where the economy is poised to rocket. Probably.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • dunstonh
    Options
    :cool:

Far from irrelevant if he’s set himself up to profit from a reversal in the economy of the country he wants to lead.

He says he doesnt want to be PM and he knows he would not be PM as he would not get mainstream support.

And how has he set himself up to profit from a reversal in the economy? Bad remainers often quote that but have absolutely no evidence of it to back it up.
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Why would anyone have most of their money invested off shore unless they thought the pound was going to crash or the U.K. was in for a recession? If you truly believed brexit was about to lead us into a land of milk and honey, you’d have every penny here where the economy is poised to rocket. Probably.

Malthusian said "abroad" not "off-shore".

There is a difference.

If someone invests in a global tracker - which is a very mainstream and sensible thing to invest in - then most of their money is invested abroad, with about 5 or 6% in the UK stock market.

And if people believe that Brexit will lead to a land of milk and honey they'd still be sensible to invest globally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure