Business electricity scam - PLEASE HELP!

Options
Please, please help me.
I have just started as an office manager at a small business.
Lots of paperwork and bills need sorting and I have been working through it.
Anyway, the electricity contract with SSE business had run out a few weeks back, and we received a letter from them yesterday saying that the contract has run out etc.

Today the receptionist gets me and says that the electric company are on the phone.
The guy on the phone tells me he is calling from SSE and our contract has run out. He quoted some rates that sound good and asked if I wanted to go ahead with renewing. Which I did.
At the end of the call he gives me his name and a number to call if I have any questions. This is the same number he is calling from. He says the new contract will be sent out etc.

After the call I go to put a note on our files and realise the number is completely different to the one I got called from... So I phone SSE business directly and they know nothing of this call.
The tell me that it is likely to be a rogue broker and there is nothing I can do to stop it other than call them back and cancel as I get a cooling off period by law.

I call the number back and a man answers saying it's a wrong number and he is nothing to do with electricity. I'm sure the voice was the same guy that I spoke to originally.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get this cancelled? I know I agreed to a verbal contract but I believed I was talking to the real electricity company (he was very convincing).
I did not give him any bank details or personal details or account numbers. He already obviously had the company name, address etc.

I haven't told anyone yet as I am hoping there is a way I can fix it. I feel so sick because I have been so naive and I will likely lose my job if I can't sort it and have to tell the business owner.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a business to business transaction .
    Consumer law / Cooling off is for consumers .
    Business transactions are subject to the terms and conditions of that contract ,

You would be best to contact SSE and see if they can help .
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there is a contract, it's with the business. If I were the business owner I'd take a dimmer view of an employee trying to brush it under the carpet, rather than being frank with me from the outset and allowing me to try to sort it out.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Get SSE to quote you; it may be that what you are being offered by this "scammer" is actually a good deal.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport