Paying Summer Rent

Options
I will be moving into my new accommodation for the 2019/2020 academic year in September but have had to pay rent for the accommodation during summer even though I'm not allowed to live there. I have to stay at uni over the summer so am essentially paying rent for two bedrooms.

The accommodation company have said I pay this to reserve the accommodation over summer and so that they cannot rent it out over summer but I want them to rent it out over summer... to me!

Essentially I am paying £145 a week for a room I don't even have access to, I can't even store my stuff there. Is this legal?

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Seems so, my daughter also has to pay Summer Rent. Standard practice I think, My daughter can move some of her stuff in when she gets the keys on July 1st but only stuff that will fit on her bed as the cleaners still need access apparently.

Why are you staying at Uni over the summer ? My daughter has to be out of her Halls on June 1st so doesn't have to pay after that, is staying at Uni your choice ?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you signed a contact for next year's accommodation? If not then you have the option to try to find somewhere else that will allow you to stay whenever you like.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,040 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this a private let?

Standard student landlord practice. They charge over the Summer otherwise you risk them letting the property to another group of students.

The other option would have been to find a rental where you are allowed to stay over the Summer.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • piggy_bank
    piggy_bank Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you're paying rent over summer, most contracts start and end in July, but stunned that you're not allowed access to it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure