Don't go to a Council-run MOT centre if there's any chance of failing at all.

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 August 2018 at 4:59PM
    Options
    But the main issue is bolded in the OP:

The thing is, if the car had working lights but failed on something unforeseen, I'd still be in this situation, forking out for a second MOT.

That is entirely down to you. The MOT regulations state a specific scenario which if the car fails are offered a free retest, other scenarios with fails which are a partial retest fee and scenarios which are a full retest fee. If the council are charging a full fee for a retest it is because your car has failed on an item which attracts a full fee for a retest or you are outside the 10 day partial retest fee deadline as per the MOT regulations.

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Council MOT stations DO NOT do repairs. Changing a bulb is a repair and a MOT tester is not required to change bulbs during a MOT or after or at any point.

In over a decade of motoring I've only ever had one MOT fail despite running 2 cars and that was on a car with 155,000 miles on. I have NEVER had a car fail a MOT because of a bulb.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Must depend on the site; they tried hard to pass one of our cars; even to the extent of covering an exhaust leak with cloth to get it through emissions.
  • EdGasketTheSecond
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I have NEVER had a car fail a MOT because of a bulb.
    #

Well don't get too cocky; I had a brake light fail on the way to the testing station!
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would hope this thread is a wind up. If not I hope op has learnt a valuable lesson in car ownership. Almost anyone can get caught out by an item on the mot like emissions or a suspension component. However every single driver should be able to check the basics of tyres and lights before an mot.

Even worse is that the op was well aware his car would fail on a blown bulb yet still presented it for mot. I don't want to be sharing the road with drivers who are this negligent. Wonder when the op last checked their tyres and fluids.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    In over a decade of motoring I've only ever had one MOT fail despite running 2 cars and that was on a car with 155,000 miles on. I have NEVER had a car fail a MOT because of a bulb.

I get lots of "make work" fails
    A fail reason quoted as the number plate was "not sufficiently reflective enough" was one of the "best" I've had.
    Headlamp aim too high when the said car used as a second vehicle on occasions had only done 2000 miles since the last MOT when it was all fine was another suspicious one
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options

6 months ago I noticed I had a dead headlight and tried to replace it myself. Had previously paid Halfrauds £22 only to watch the chap effortlessly take a rubber seal off the back of the headlight housing, take out the bulb and put the new one in.
    Tried the magic trick myself and just spent half an hour shredding my hand. Tried shaking it, pulling and pushing, thrusting it (oo-er), the car bounced on its suspension but the !!!! wouldn't come out of the headlight housing. Something came up and I drove off, and forgot about it.

Well aside from your unjustified rant against your unnamed council. your rant against "Halfrauds" is also unjustified.

You have found out for yourself how difficult it can be to change a lamp. I think it's well worth paying Halfords to this for me, and I've seen them struggle.

And £22 to fit a lamp bulb? Honestly? Their charge for fitting a headlamp starts at £8.

Obviously, you also have to pay for the bulb.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Easy for you to judge my attempt from where you're sat, when you yourself would have almost certainly failed at the task as well
    What car is it?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What car is it?

Preferably with reg no so we all know to avoid buying the poorly maintained shed.
  • jonnyd281
    jonnyd281 Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Shocker: I drove around with no lights on at all, for ages! Given that it was daylight every subsequent commute... not sure if it's illegal to have one headlight in the day, I suspect I wouldn't get caught though

/smartalec

It is, and you will get pulled over for it. What did you do in poor visibility? (Rain, Mist, Fog, when driving through tunnels). Most of the owners manuals will tell you how to change your headlight. If not a quick google search will tell you how to do it.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    !!!55357;!!!56834;!!!55358;!!!56611;
    Best thing I've read all day.
    You take your car to an mot station that closes 2 hrs before you finish work and it's somehow their fault.
    They are also mot testers, not a consumer repair garage. That's the perks of them, no incentive to make work for themselves. If you want work doing take it to a garage!!

And somehow it's their fault you may have to drive an unroadworthy vehicle.

Oh And you assume the bulb was damaged and not the cluster. You may have a shock.

Seems to me you need to start taking responsibility for your own actions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure