MoneySaving tips for disabled people

Options

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Cherie1w wrote: »
    I recently bought new batteries for my mobility scooter from Amazon and when I enquired with the vendor about VAT exemption I was told that because they only trade online they cannot by law offer VAT exemption for disabled customers. The batteries were purposely sold for mobility scooters and wheelchairs and not for general use. Does anyone know if this is correct?

No, it's b0ll0x. You can complete online declerations.

The position with batteries is this;

Parts and accessories
    You won't have to pay VAT on parts or accessories that are designed solely for use in or with eligible goods (except boats). VAT relief doesn't apply to general use items such as batteries even if they’re being bought for use in equipment that was bought VAT free. For example, you can't buy a standard battery VAT free for use in your mobility scooter but you can buy a VAT-free battery that was designed only to be used in mobility scooters.

http://www.inclusive.co.uk/Lib/Downloads/hm-revenue-and-customs-vat-relief.pdf
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cherie1w wrote: »
    I recently bought new batteries for my mobility scooter from Amazon and when I enquired with the vendor about VAT exemption I was told that because they only trade online they cannot by law offer VAT exemption for disabled customers. The batteries were purposely sold for mobility scooters and wheelchairs and not for general use. Does anyone know if this is correct?

That, unfortunately is correct - however, Amazon do offer a way of reclaiming VAT after the event
    "Unfortunately, we don't currently have a system which automatically subtracts VAT for customers who are registered disabled. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused. Once your order has been completed, to reclaim VAT you'll need to fill out an eligibility declaration form for a disabled person and send this to our office at the below address. You can also use the following link to download the eligibility declaration form for disabled persons: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/419380/Eligibility_Declaration_Disabled_-_March_2015__2_.pdf

Please note there are penalties for making false declarations. Eligibility declaration by a disabled person: Customer If you are in any doubt as to whether you are eligible to receive goods or services zero-rated for VAT you should consult Notice 701/7 VAT reliefs for disabled people or contact our National Advice Service on 0120 437 4930 before signing the declaration. I (FULL NAME) .............................................................................. of (ADDRESS) .............................................................................. .................................................................................................. declare that: * I am chronically sick or have a disabling condition by reason of: (give full and specific description of your condition); and that * I am receiving from: (name and address of supplier) * the following goods which are being supplied to me for domestic or my personal use: (DESCRIPTION OF GOODS) * the following services to adapt goods to suit my condition: (DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES AND GOODS) * the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods: (DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES AND GOODS) * the following alterations to my private residence: (DESCRIPTION OF ALTERATION) * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system and I claim relief from value added tax. ................................................................................ (SIGNATURE) ........................................................................................ (DATE) Supplier I (FULL NAME) .................................................................................. of (ADDRESS) .................................................................................. ...................................................................................................... am supplying to the person named above: * the following goods: (DESCRIPTION OF GOODS) * the following services of adapting goods: (DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES AND GOODS) * the following services of installation, repair or maintenance of goods: (DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES AND GOODS) * the following alterations to a private residence: (DESCRIPTION OF ALTERATION) * the services of monitoring a personal alarm call system for the personal use of the disabled person. ................................................................................ (SIGNATURE) ........................................................................................ (DATE) *Delete words that are not applicable Please note that you should keep this declaration for production to your VAT officer. The production of this declaration does not automatically justify the zero-rating of the supply. You must ensure that the goods and services you are supplying qualify for zero-rating. Please post the above details to the following address: Amazon Customer Services Waverley Gate 2-4 Waterloo Place Edinburgh, Midlothian EH1 3EG United Kingdom Alternatively, you can submit this information via email, in PDF format, to the address below. In order to process your application, please ensure you add the order number to the email. [EMAIL="b2b-refund@amazon.co.uk"]b2b-refund@amazon.co.uk[/EMAIL] Once we've received this information, we'll proceed with processing your claim and issue you with the appropriate VAT refund. If we can be of further assistance, you can reply directly to this e-mail. Customer Service can also be reached by phone, e-mail and chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week using the link below: https://www.amazon.co.uk/contact-us
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Apologies if this has been mentioned before.
    This is for Wales.
    Wheelchair users, who have someone to wheel them around, can sometimes have a free "companion" pass for buses, as long as the "companion" live in Wales.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Lizzbet
    Lizzbet Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    If you use an electric wheelchair, take the charger with you and you can recharge for free in many supermarkets and shopping centres if you ask nicely if you can plug in while you have lunch.

It's worth remembering that most (I think) electric wheelchairs and scooters use a trickle charge system - while it's very good to be able to top up if you really have to, it's recommended to charge for several hours at a time. Apparently the battery life becomes reduced if the batteries get brief charges and don't get fully topped up. Well, that's what the wonderful Dave who comes to maintain my powerchair says, anyway.
  • Lizzbet
    Options
    joycejim wrote: »
    I cannot work out how to post something new, so will just add here... Blue badge holders do not have to pay the London congestion charge. Register your car(s) on the TFL website. £10 one-off payment last as long as your blue badge.

This works in Durham, too - there is a charge for driving up onto the peninsula. You'll need to register, the link is at
  • Lizzbet
    Options
    When my husband and I went to Rome via Paris, using Eurostar, TGV and Frecciarossa, we were seated in first class from Eurostar onwards as that is where the wheelchair spaces are (I use a powerchair). This meant we were able to take advantage of anything provided as part of the first class experience, so included a meal on Eurostar. There is plenty of support provided to get on and off the trains, as long as you book in advance (and who wouldn't on a long journey like that!) and we didn't have any problems at all.

Also, entry into heritage sites, museums etc in Paris and Rome was amazing - we were ushered to the front of every queue, and got in free of charge! I'd expected we would pay entrance either for myself, as the person with a disability, or my husband, as an able bodied person, as in the UK we generally pay for one of us - and in the UK we always have to queue. So we were delighted to find it so much cheaper, as well as quicker!
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    not money saving as such,

but having known someone who works for the fire brigade, its always good to get free smoke alarms, but also have that property listed on their systems as someone "needing extra assistance" listed.

in practice i was told this means more firemen come to the call, and with additional equipment based on the need identified / you notify them about.
  • Wendymarf61
    Options
    Access to Work ‘benefit’
    My daughter has a learning disability. She can’t get public transport to her workplace and after an application to Access to Work she gets her taxi fares refunded. We have to send in a claim form and receipts but this saves her so much. Without it she might well be paying more in taxi fares than she earns. 
  • VKE
    VKE Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm currently in the process of having my current bathroom changd into a wetroom.
    1: I went to one company and when I mentioned getting the VAT removed I was told VAT would only  be removed for: floor/wall tiles, shower screen, shower tray, shower but VAT would be included for: sink, toilet, radiator, extractor fan 
    2: Went to a different company and the person said everything I ordered and paid for would be VAT free and said some companies don't want to complete required paperwork  and was just being lazy
    3: Went online with a tile company, did a live chat and they emailed me the VAT Exemption Form which I completd and sent back via email along with items I wanted and got VAT removed, 20% discount, free delivery 48hrs later and paid by bank transfer 
    4: Went online with bathroom company, live chat, had to download GOV.UK VAT Exemption Form which I completed my bit which I emailed back along with items I wanted and got VAT removed off absolutely everything,  excellent prices plus discount, free delivery 
    5: If you ask about VAT Exemption @ Wickes you have to pay ìncluding VAT then claim it back but staff member thought it would only be off some items

I've kept a downloaded copy of the GOV.UK VAT Exemption Form for future projects 

• dancingmaster1651
    Options
    CADW (Wales heritage organisation, like National Trust for England) goes one better than carer free: disabled person plus one or two necessary companions ALL get in free. It's not well advertised but when I enquired at  Caernarfon Castle, Plas Mawr and Conwy Castle recently the answer was the same: yes, all free, and we take your word for it  -- you don't have to show proof. In all three places the lovely staff went beyond the call of duty to refund our paid tickets, show us to the disabled loo and make sure we had enough support.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback