Told the buyer's address is wrong.......

Options
Can anyone please give me advice about this?

A buyer paid for an item then immediately sent me a message to ask that I send it to a different address as she just noticed her address was wrong on her account. The address which pulled through with her Paypal payment is a company address. I know that we are supposed to only send to the address which pulls through with payment to get our Paypal protection.

If this is genuine and not someone out to scam, what would be the correct procedure please?
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell them to add the correct address to the PayPal and eBay accounts?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Only send if you dont mind losing it and the money and potentially not getting all your fees back.

If you dont mind paying for someone to steal the item then take the risk.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• ailey
    ailey Posts: 3,184 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

If she does change the address to the new address, will that then show up on the sale even though the sale has already been paid for?
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
  • ailey
    Options
    Only send if you dont mind losing it and the money and potentially not getting all your fees back.

If you dont mind paying for someone to steal the item then take the risk.

That's certainly what I don't want to do. Thought I'd ask for advice here as people are always so helpful. I just wondered if she did change her address on EBay and Paypal, would it then show up on the 'already paid for' sale. I'm not going to post until I know the correct procedure has been followed in relation to the change of address.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    ailey wrote: »
    That's certainly what I don't want to do. Thought I'd ask for advice here as people are always so helpful. I just wondered if she did change her address on EBay and Paypal, would it then show up on the 'already paid for' sale. I'm not going to post until I know the correct procedure has been followed in relation to the change of address.

The changed address will not show up on an existing order. You will need to cancel the order (and lose the PayPal transaction fee) and ask the buyer to purchase it again, with the correct address added at the checkout stage.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    Tell them to add the correct address to the PayPal and eBay accounts?

OP states item has already been paid for, so changing the address on ebay and paypal isn't going to help.

Think of the chaos and scamming possibility if buyers could change their address after paying- so paypal tell the seller one address and buyer claims non receipt at another!

As above, the only way to stay safe is to get the sale cancelled due to 'buyer's address' take the 30p paypal loss and re sell, do it carefully though to avoid issues with 'off ebay' sales.

My last one like this actually told me to go ahead with the paypal address in the end .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • ailey
    edited 12 November 2019 at 12:01AM
    Options
    The changed address will not show up on an existing order. You will need to cancel the order (and lose the PayPal transaction fee) and ask the buyer to purchase it again, with the correct address added at the checkout stage.
    soolin wrote: »
    OP states item has already been paid for, so changing the address on ebay and paypal isn't going to help.

Think of the chaos and scamming possibility if buyers could change their address after paying- so paypal tell the seller one address and buyer claims non receipt at another!

As above, the only way to stay safe is to get the sale cancelled due to 'buyer's address' take the 30p paypal loss and re sell, do it carefully though to avoid issues with 'off ebay' sales.

My last one like this actually told me to go ahead with the paypal address in the end .

Thank you both very much for your help. Both the buyer's EBay and Paypal show the old address which is a company address.

I hope I don't get a strike against me for cancelling the order. I'll send her a message first to explain what I need to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure