Chimney breast removal

Options
Im hoping someone can help. We are looking to remove a whole chimney breast from our property. We currently have 2 chimney breast downstairs which appear to combine into one upstairs which is in bith bedrooms. They both have a fireplace in the bedroom but not in use. Downstairs we eventually want to remove the kitchen chimney which is not in use. Our bedroom above the kitchen could do with more space so I'm considering removing that too. My problem is I can't afford to remodel my kitchen and bedroom at the same time so wondering ...

If I remove the chimney breast from the bedroom and support the stack in the loft will I also need to support the bedroom floor?
When I remove the kitchen section in a few years will I still need steel supports In the ceiling if there is no chimney above?

I don't want to pay for a job twice if I can help it and not sure the best way to order the work needed

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had a builder round to quote for our chimney and he said may as well get the chimney out through the living room, bedroom / roof and he charged £1160 for removal on all 3 levels .
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The answers are going to vary depending on the type of house (detached/semi/terrace) and whether the chimneys are on internal or external walls.

But at some point you are going to need the services of a structural engineer and get building regs approval, so it might be best to start with that, rather than getting opinions off strangers on the internet who at best can only offer general advice.

You need to think about more than just supporting the bit of chimney (if any) above the bit you've removed, which is why you need professional advice from someone who can visit your house and understand fully how the chimneys interact with the rest of the structure.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Cherylf
    Cherylf Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Thanks for guidance. I lived in a mod terraced so know I need party wall agreement but neighbours have taken theirs out downstairs so can't see them having a problem with it. I'll try and speak to a structural engineer for guidance as to the order, etc
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherylf wrote: »
    Thanks for guidance. I lived in a mod terraced so know I need party wall agreement but neighbours have taken theirs out downstairs so can't see them having a problem with it. I'll try and speak to a structural engineer for guidance as to the order, etc

So whats holding the rest of the stack up, yours?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cherylf wrote: »

Like zaax says, that could be an issue. It would be less of a concern if the neighbours hadn't removed theirs. But if they have, then removing yours might compromise the stability of the party wall, especially if the upper part of their chimney is still in place.

You really need a structural engineer's advice, and frankly be prepared for them to tell you that complete removal of your chimney might not be possible, or could only be done if the neighbours agree to have more of theirs taken down.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • vw100
    vw100 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If neighbours have removed their chimney, then you cannot use gallows bracket to support the remaining in the loft. Option would be to remove all the way from top of the roof to the bottom. Get guidance from a professional and don't forget to get building regs involved if applicable.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to butt in all,

Just wanted to try and be helpful and say, don't forget to get council building regs involved for the appropriate certification to keep, should you decide to sell the place in future

This is something we did and had to get retrospective certification as we didn't realise at the time

Although you probably know this stuff

cheers
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills