Missed Service Charge

Options
Hi

The service charge of my flat got split last year, where part of it was sent in letters, and the other part was sent in email to me. For the part with email, I have kept a good track of the payments, however, for the other part, since the flat was let out, I didn't know there's a payment until last weekend where I was showing the flat to some other tenants.

The payment was issued in Feb, so it has been a long time, and now I received a claim form from county court money claims centre, demanding a massive bill, the missed charge was £750, but they are asking for a bill totalling £2300.

The claim form was received last Thursday, so based on my understanding, I would have 14 days to settle the payment, or dispute the charge.

I'm wondering if anyone had similar situation before? I have always been keeping track of payments, however, for this one, because I did not receive the letter, so not able to make it.

Thanks
Jimmy

Comments

• jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why didn’t you tell the management company your correspondence address?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    csuedn wrote: »
    Hi

The service charge of my flat got split last year, where part of it was sent in letters, and the other part was sent in email to me. For the part with email, I have kept a good track of the payments, however, for the other part, since the flat was let out, I didn't know there's a payment until last weekend where I was showing the flat to some other tenants.

The payment was issued in Feb, so it has been a long time, and now I received a claim form from county court money claims centre, demanding a massive bill, the missed charge was £750, but they are asking for a bill totalling £2300.

The claim form was received last Thursday, so based on my understanding, I would have 14 days to settle the payment, or dispute the charge.

I'm wondering if anyone had similar situation before? I have always been keeping track of payments, however, for this one, because I did not receive the letter, so not able to make it.

Thanks
    Jimmy

you did receive a letter, unfortunately you didn't change your address

looks like an expensive lesson

Your previous tenants are not under any obligation to forward post either
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • csuedn
    csuedn Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I told the management company, however, the information was not passed on; I called them, they said they didn’t receive any instruction to send me the bill in email, so by default , I should receive it by post
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand why part of the service charge would be sent by email and part by post.

Was it the service charge was sent by post and the ground rent was sent by email?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure