Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't worry TOO much about dementia yet Carboot. You said he wasn't a confident driver, so he will have been quite stressed after the long drive & that can do funny things to anyone's memory, you don't have to be old (he can't have been too bad or he wouldn't have found his way there at all). Although if you do have dementia any stress does make it much worse.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the dementia advice, HH and badmemory:T:A

Had a good night's sleep, was more tired than I realised. No phone calls from my friend during the night:j I'm always up by 6 so it's not unusual for me to be up and about and on here at this hour.

Just to add to the dementia topic, there have been various disturbing events recently to have worried my friend about her brother. On 2 separate occasions he started cooking something, completely forgot about it and did considerable smoke/fire damage to his kitchen because he'd left the house. The Fire Brigade were involved on one occasion, there was smoke and water damage to several rooms as a result. On another occasion he started running a bath and forgot about it, even left the house and walked to the local shop for something. Luckily he lives in a bungalow and the flood didn't bring any ceilings down but it did cause a massive amount of damage. His insurance premiums now are huge:eek:

My friend said there were other things he's done but she didn't have the time to tell me everything the last time I saw her, she's got too much else to think about. I know she feels safest while her brother is at the hospital with her rather than him being on his own at her lovely home:eek:. She's worried sick about him driving but he seems to go onto automatic pilot and seems perfectly competent although he's never enjoyed driving and doesn't feel confident in lots of traffic. I think it was him who insisted on coming to be with her when she phoned him about her husband's condition. She wouldn't have asked him to drive all that way on his own.

Strangely, almost like clicking a switch he becomes perfectly normal and his confusion lifts, such as when he drove to the hospital although I don't think that went according to plan. Apparently he must have got lost en route, it took him a great deal longer than it normally would have even at the speed he drives at. He said he'd only stopped once for a toilet break and to buy petrol for about 10 minutes so goodness knows which way he came:eek:.

It was the next-door-neighbour's concerns that raised the subject again. He asked my friend if her brother was 'all right' as he'd been very vague, panicky, unable to grasp what the neighbour was trying to tell him and asking the same obvious questions over and over even though they'd just been patiently answered by the neighbour. Like you, the neighbour thought it was stress and tiredness that had caused it, he didn't know the brother so had no idea how usual his behaviour was, but felt it extreme enough to mention it to my friend.

Anxious days for my friend in every way:(. I'd do anything to help her but don't know how:o. OH tells me not to interfere, just to be there for her whenever/however she needs me. I know he's right but I still feel I'm not doing enough

Sorry to clutter up your diary, HH, especially when you have such worries of your own:o. Have a lovely day:beer:
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I don't mind you talking on my diary Carboot, it's a distraction from my own problems so you go ahead :). Your friend's brother does sound very confused. Would it be worth your friend (when she has less on her plate) writing a letter to her brother's doctor detailing her concerns about him? If he does have dementia there may be things the doctor can do to help; just a thought. I'm glad you had a good night's sleep :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I slept well, although felt very depressed yesterday evening and off and on during tbe daytime. I expect I was tired and letting negative thoughts intrude. Instead of thinking about the people I've lost, I must focus on the people I still have and look after them. For example DH is stressed about work and I still haven't wrapped up DS3's poker set!

This morning I'm going to Mr T with DH. He can work in the cafe while I shop, and it may do him good to have a change of scene. My budget is £50-£60 but I'll be pleased if I can keep it to £50.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Hopefully you can keep it below £50. I never end up in my budget when out shopping. I just can't seem to do it unless I get a basket and then I can't get much of what I need and end up returning!

Online shopping is the way forward for me now.
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I manage to stick to my budget by buying the same items every week :o. I put the important stuff on the conveyer belt first and then once the total gets to my budget amount, I put the other stuff back. I'm quite good at estimating now so I don't usually have to much much, if anything, back.

Anyway I must get ready to go!
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Do any of my lovely diary readers have any Christmas or New Year traditions that they always do? I'm looking for new ideas so that we can do things that won't remind me my mum isn't here.

I think starting new traditions purposefully is hard: they often seem to evolve !

One year OH and I woke up on Xmas morning on our own. I hated it, but we wrapped up warmly, took mince pies and coffee and went for a walk on Christmas Common (how handy we live near enough to do so!), watched the red kites, greeted a load of others doing the same, and really enjoyed ourselves. Back home in time for the family 'invasion' later in the day.

We still have stockings: basically anyone who stays over Christmas night gets one, so I have a couple of 'guest' stockings in stock. My elderly Aunt was thrilled when she discovered this custom. I don't think she'd had a stocking for over 70 years !

Btw, I knew DD1 had got herself a 'keeper' when he arrived for his 1st Christmas with us bearing a huge Santa sack !!

Our longest standing XD tradition is NO TV !!
  • elizabethhull
    Options

Anxious days for my friend in every way:(. I'd do anything to help her but don't know how:o. OH tells me not to interfere, just to be there for her whenever/however she needs me. I know he's right but I still feel I'm not doing enough.

Sorry to clutter up your diary, HH, especially when you have such worries of your own:o. Have a lovely day:beer:

It's not interfering to be concerned about a neighbour, and wanting to do more. It shows a kind spirit :happyhear

I know what you mean about 'cluttering up' someone else's diary. Tbh, I really don't know the etiquette of this, as I've only followed 2, and it's awfully tempting to waffle on about one's own life. I personally find the many contributions, whether personally anecdotal or encouraging, of great interest, as well as the daily life of the OP.

Hope everyone is lucky enough to be enjoying the Indian summer and gets much washing done !!!!
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I manage to stick to my budget by buying the same items every week :o. I put the important stuff on the conveyer belt first and then once the total gets to my budget amount, I put the other stuff back. I'm quite good at estimating now so I don't usually have to much much, if anything, back.

Anyway I must get ready to go!

I get carried away by the shiny packages!
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Your journey through grief so entirely mirrors my own when I lost my mum, it's uncanny. We always used to go to my mum's on Christmas Eve to pick up/drop off presents. She passed away at the end of August so everything was still raw at Christmas. We just had a quiet Christmas at home that year. Just before Mr SA got I'll we went to the beach on Christmas Day with the dog. It was one of my best Christmas Days ever. I was surprised how busy it was, there was a great atmosphere. We took a picnic and ate it in the car. You need to do something completely different to try to take your mind off the memories but be prepared to be upset, it's only natural. Honestly you will feel better in time xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure