TSB banking dilemma

Options

Comments

• db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    newspapers from today, letters in the other, showing he's alive.

it sounds like a terrorist movie!
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    Just wondering why at 92 he suddenly needs these new bank accounst. Couldn't he just continue using his existing banking arrangements and forget about TSB?

This ^^^^^^^, plus another question: if there's a good reason why he needs a new current account, why does it have to be TSB?
  • diamond_dave
    diamond_dave Posts: 814 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - we have decided that its too much hassle for him, but I am going into the branch myself WITH all the documentation just to prove what T***s they are. Following that I intend emailing the CEO with my complaints. I know it will do no good, but I'm like a dog with a bone and the managers' attitude on the phone was appalling. Having just watched the D Day celebrations with all those 90 year old veterans, I could see my FIL just like those other heroes. He does not want any favours he just wants to be able to open this account. He,Ho, we'll just have to go somewhere else.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,003 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    15 miles away? In his circumstances it had better be his nearest bank or the FSO may think it's you who is acting like a t***.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 June 2019 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Maybe I've led a sheltered life, but I cannot think of any 4-letter profanities beginning with the letter 't' !!

Edit: I've just thought of one! (but it is not very profane at all)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,247 Forumite
    Options
    OP should encourage his elderly father to grant power of attorney while dad still has his marbles.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

If it were me, I would probably ring them up and make an official complaint on the grounds that your father is being discriminated against because of his disability. Service providers must make 'reasonable adjustments' to allow a disabled person to use their services. If they don't do this, they must be able to show that their failure to do so is reasonable. Request that they accept signed scanned copies of the documents by post or electronically. :)

How so?

The OP complains that "the "local" branch is 15 miles away, and located in a pedestrian area with cobbles and uneven pavements". The condition of the pedestrian area isn't the bank's responsibility, and neither is the bank required to relocate its branch closer to their FIL's residence.:)

Despite being disabled, I managed to open an account with the TSB. Granted the branch was only 5 miles away but I did have to cross a road to get there. God gave us motor cars, blue badges, and disability aids for a reason.

It's not discrimination to treat a disabled person the same as a non-disabled person.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies - we have decided that its too much hassle for him, but I am going into the branch myself WITH all the documentation just to prove what T***s they are. Following that I intend emailing the CEO with my complaints. I know it will do no good, but I'm like a dog with a bone and the managers' attitude on the phone was appalling. Having just watched the D Day celebrations with all those 90 year old veterans, I could see my FIL just like those other heroes. He does not want any favours he just wants to be able to open this account. He,Ho, we'll just have to go somewhere else.

Is your FIL a WWII veteran?

Don’t take it out on the branch staff, it’s not their fault.

TSB are a terrible choice anyway if you’re looking for an account to run entirely online.
  • onwards&upwards
    onwards&upwards Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Options
    antrobus wrote: »

It's not discrimination to treat a disabled person the same as a non-disabled person.

Actually sometimes it is. If you expect everybody to answer the phone, or climb lots of stairs, or read T&Cs in small print, then you are treating everybody the same but you are still discriminating against your customers who are deaf, use a wheelchair, or visually impaired.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options

Good luck with that cunning plan. You don't even have POA, so you have no authority to represent your FIL in any financial matters.

Aside from that, WW II has nothing to do with opening a bank account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure