When to request a copy of CCA

Options
I was thinking about requesting a CCA for an account that I haven't made any payments to for years. It has been passed on to another company. I haven't responded to any letters that they have been sending and have had no other contact with them.

Should I send them a CCA request even though I have no repayment plan in place with them?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you know you owe it what’s stopping you repaying it?

You’ve also posted in the wrong forum.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    francolin wrote: »
    I was thinking about requesting a CCA for an account that I haven't made any payments to for years. It has been passed on to another company. I haven't responded to any letters that they have been sending and have had no other contact with them.

Should I send them a CCA request even though I have no repayment plan in place with them?
    What type of account is it? Credit card, loan, store card etc etc?

The CCA guidance is linked below:
    Debts - why, how & when to ask for the CCA agreement

I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    If you are sure the debt is statute barred then ignore all correspondence. Contacting them is what they want so they can start harassing you to pay.
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2019 at 9:38PM
    Options
    On second thoughts, I agree with Ben above. The account should be statute barred if you can answer yes to ALL of the following four points:
    • it had been more than six years since you last made a payment; and
    • the creditor has a cause of action more than six years ago; and
    • you haven’t acknowledged the debt in writing during this time; and
    • the creditor hasn’t already gone to court for a CCJ.

The cause of action would be the date of default.

https://debtcamel.co.uk/statute-barred-debt/
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• francolin
    Options
    I thought I'd posted under Credit Cards. On my phone it still comes under credit cards. If it's wrong, should I delete it?

And the reason I'm not making a repayment is because I can't afford to. And the reason I want to make a CCA request is the same reason why 99% of people do.
  • francolin
    Options
    It's for a Credit Card. It's been about three years since I last made a payment to the Credit Card company. During that time it's been passed on. So it won't be statute barred. I know that some people make the CCA request and then make an offer for a full and final settlement. But I'm not really in a position to do that. So should I make a request in the hope that they won't be able to fulfill it? The account itself is at least 12 years old. But I got into trouble with it about 3 years ago and stopped making payments.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmm, clutching at straws. You do know i you do a CCA request, they can reconstitute one and it doesn't have to have your signature on - it will just state its reconstituted. Has the company that passed on to been in contact recently?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You’re wasting your time.

Save up and get the debt paid.
  • francolin
    Options
    They rang me on my home number recently. I was not in to the call. (I'm usually not at that address). They left a message to the person who answered to call them back. But I haven't yet. So I'm basically wondering if I should call them (obviously it will be to make regular payments), or if I should ask for a CCA first before I even bother.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Yes, you should submit a CCA request for the credit card account. If they cannot provide you with the correct paperwork then it will increase your options.

I love my job

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family