CMC company trying to claim payment on plevin award

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Moir77
    Mrs_Moir77 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Quick update - resolved!!! The CMC just got back to me - after refusing my reduced offer - say will accept it. It is less than 10% - the initially wanted 30% of my payout, then they offered 15%. I sent an email detailing the information provided by dunstonh

They had settled previous PPI for my husband (we had a joint account) which we settled in full with no issues. The rely on refer a friend and obviously did not want negative publicity.

By paying them I have kept 90% of the money and I can now use it to do the house improvements it was earmarked for.

thank you for all of your advice!!!!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Moir77 wrote: »
    By paying them I have kept 90% of the money
    By not paying them you would have 100% of the money.

Frankly, you were robbed. :eek:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick update - resolved!!! The CMC just got back to me - after refusing my reduced offer - say will accept it. It is less than 10% - the initially wanted 30% of my payout, then they offered 15%. I sent an email detailing the information provided by dunstonh

They had settled previous PPI for my husband (we had a joint account) which we settled in full with no issues. The rely on refer a friend and obviously did not want negative publicity.

By paying them I have kept 90% of the money and I can now use it to do the house improvements it was earmarked for.

thank you for all of your advice!!!!!

This is not a result, the CMC were not entitled to a penny and were relying on your lack of knowledge of this area to get some out. 10% of your refund is 10% more than they should have
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The rely on refer a friend and obviously did not want negative publicity.
    Actually, they "rely" on people's ignorance and naivety.

Name and shame this company...:(
  • Mrs_Moir77
    Options
    I!!!8217;ll name them - the Fair Trade Practice. I just wanted it it dealt with. I have my reasons for not going ahead with the complaint with the LO. I know I haven!!!8217;t kept all my money - but at the end of the day this was my decision. I am now no longer under any contract with them and can now pursue other ppl without them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    the Fair Trade Practice.
    A misnomer if ever I heard one...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I!!!8217;ll name them - the Fair Trade Practice. I just wanted it it dealt with. I have my reasons for not going ahead with the complaint with the LO. I know I haven!!!8217;t kept all my money - but at the end of the day this was my decision. I am now no longer under any contract with them and can now pursue other ppl without them.

And you let them get on with conning more people who don't know what the rules are by not complaining - if you had complained and the LO had taken action they might have stopped, now they will just keep trying their luck
  • Mrs_Moir77
    Options
    how dare you! I made MY decision to resolve this as quickly as I could. You have NO IDEA of my circumstance and why I made MY decision.

For the record - I was given no assurances from the LO about this. Apart from the would recommend a new POA was granted. Even when I quoted the MOJ at them they would not give me concrete advice. At the same time I was been hassled for payment and threatened with charges and court action. I wanted this resolved as it has been going on for a number of months.

I would not recommend any CMC to anyone - I have learnt my lesson not just about the CMC's but here. I posted for advice - which I appreciate. I CHOSE to resolve and get bashed for it. Thanks a lot.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I CHOSE to resolve and get bashed for it.
    The point is that you asked for advice here and then roundly ignored it. That was indeed your choice, but you should not expect us to congratulate you.

As a result, you've now paid this company money they are not entitled to and also for doing something you could have done yourself simply and for free.

You've been robbed not once, but twice effectively.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For the record - I was given no assurances from the LO about this. Apart from the would recommend a new POA was granted. Even when I quoted the MOJ at them they would not give me concrete advice. At the same time I was been hassled for payment and threatened with charges and court action. I wanted this resolved as it has been going on for a number of months.

I have said it elsewhere that the LO appears to be weaker in remit that the FOS is (in their respective areas). If a financial firm billed incorrectly or against FCA rules then the FOS would tell them to refund. Whereas the LO posts here told people to pay under duress and reclaim via the court. This is despite the MoJ rules being clear.

However, someone made a post earlier today saying that the LO have told them that the CMC shouldnt have charged the money.

This could be a developing issue where initial complaints via the LO are different to later complaints where they have had a chance to look into them more and legal advice sought. That has happened with the FOS in the past where early complaints get different responses to later ones as more information becomes available.

I would have stood my ground as you have a) the rules that CMCs should be working by published by the ministry of justice and b) the warning given by the Ministry of Justice that charging fees they are not entitled to could be considered fraud.

If they went to court, putting Ministry of Justice rules in front a judge is pretty strong.
    I would not recommend any CMC to anyone - I have learnt my lesson not just about the CMC's but here.

yes, the banks did wrong but they are highly regulated and the culture is much improved nowadays. CMCs are a bit like the banks were 20 years ago.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure