What to do when someone dies - new guide feedback

Options

Comments

• Blonde_Bookworm
    Options
    Dad died years ago - had to do everything as Mum had had a stroke - guns (surrender to Police before arranging sale to gunsmith), car - tell DVLA, re register in my name; insurance ditto; sell possessions, move out of a tied (job related) house and I was 26yr old. there was no will either - I was a nervous wreck for nearly a year afterwards. my advice to family is GET A WILL DONE.
  • chrisjsalter59
    Options
    I am looking to set-up a 'crowdfunding' page as a memorial for my wife who died suddenly. The main intention of which is to allow friends and family to contribute directly to a fitting celebration of her life. Although I think as has been mentioned the basic funeral costs will probably be covered by benefits, the contributions will allow us to extend what we can do, for example purchase a memorial bench, that people who knew her can directly contribute to and that will be a longer lasting legacy, perhaps replacing what they might have spent on flowers etc. In addition any money that is leftover I would like to donate to 2 charities that would reflect what she loved and who she was. This may not be the right forum for the answer to this question but if anyone has any advice about setting this up it would be much appreciated. Thanks. Chris.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    Options
    Foxy_Steph wrote: »
    What a great idea. I struggled with Mum's probate and probably paid over the odds. Please add my motoring club to your list for women who struggle with their motoring/cars/driving after a husband's death. We're called FOXY Lady Drivers Club and we provide support services, run on a not for profit basis. Lots of single ladies helping each other. Hope we can help others.
    Your club is a great idea as well and deserves more publicity. Is there a website people can refer to?
  • Anne_Meddick
    Options
    We are just about to arrange LPA's for me and my husband
    All our bank accounts invests etc are joint except for NS &I, am I being mislead into thinking these accounts will be frozen on the first death or will the survivor just carry on as before, house is Joint tenants. we are in our early 80s and quite sane! Jargon is so confusing.:o
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    We are just about to arrange LPA's for me and my husband
    All our bank accounts invests etc are joint except for NS &I, am I being mislead into thinking these accounts will be frozen on the first death or will the survivor just carry on as before, house is Joint tenants. we are in our early 80s and quite sane! Jargon is so confusing.:o
    If they are joint accounts then they will just carry on with the survivor. You may need probate for the National Savings.
  • L0upyl0u
    Options
    I would also add if the person had a Power of Attorney then the office of the public guardian needs to be informed. They will want the original form returned. I didn't have it but they accepted a certified copy.
  • JayZS
    JayZS Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    I am his only relative. He has refused to have anything to do with me for over 40 years, and has forbidden me to make any sort of contact. I hear on the grapevine he may not now be every well, and I suspect he is very asset poor. If he passes away, would the authorities look to me to pay towards any funeral costs?
    I apologize for the "hard headed" appearance of the question.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    If he has a solvent estate and has made a will it will be down to his executor to sort it.

If his estate is solvent and he dies intestate, I guess it would be down to his beneficiary (you)

If as you suspect he has no assets then either the LA will pay for a simple funeral, or if he dies in hospital the responsibility falls to the NHS.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    JayZS wrote: »
    I am his only relative. He has refused to have anything to do with me for over 40 years, and has forbidden me to make any sort of contact. I hear on the grapevine he may not now be every well, and I suspect he is very asset poor. If he passes away, would the authorities look to me to pay towards any funeral costs?
    I apologize for the "hard headed" appearance of the question.

Relatives are not compelled to be responsible for funeral costs. First call for the costs would be on the estate of the deceased. If he had insufficient assets the council would pay for a simple but appropriate service.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    It is known as public health funeral. You have no obligation to pay though some councils have a reputation for pressurising relatives. If the death occurs in hospital then they are resonsibe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback