ESA Support Group - back date payments?

Options
titchyyyy
titchyyyy Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 17 October 2019 at 3:51AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hello.

Due to having to fight the DWP for 15+ months, I finally took them to a tribunal and won, getting backdated a solid 2 years worth of payments.

Due to this, I've been on the ESA assessment rate for 2+ years and they've finally got me signed up to a work assessment appointment which I assume is to get me either in the work-related group or the support group (or neither).

Does anybody know if I'll be eligible for backdated payments if I get into the support group - which is what my disability will most likely get me into.

I see on the ESA website that:

"If it takes longer than 13 weeks to assess your claim, you’ll continue getting the ‘assessment rate’ until you get a decision. Your ESA will be backdated if you’re owed any money after 13 weeks."

I wasn't quite sure what this entirely meant since I'm on around the 100th - 130rd week of assessment now.

Kind Regards
X

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 October 2019 at 6:32AM
    Options
    titchyyyy wrote: »
    Hello.

Due to having to fight the DWP for 15+ months, I finally took them to a tribunal and won, getting backdated a solid 2 years worth of payments.

Due to this, I've been on the ESA assessment rate for 2+ years and they've finally got me signed up to a work assessment appointment which I assume is to get me either in the work-related group or the support group (or neither).

Does anybody know if I'll be eligible for backdated payments if I get into the support group - which is what my disability will most likely get me into.

I see on the ESA website that:

"If it takes longer than 13 weeks to assess your claim, you’ll continue getting the ‘assessment rate’ until you get a decision. Your ESA will be backdated if you’re owed any money after 13 weeks."

I wasn't quite sure what this entirely meant since I'm on around the 100th - 130rd week of assessment now.

Kind Regards
    X
    If you have a work capability assessment what was the Tribunal for? weren't you placed into a group by the Tribunal? Or were you placed into the WRAG and you have a work focused interview? (WFI)

Edited to add, i see from your other thread the Tribunal was because you failed to attend the previous assessment. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5973850

This means if the decision is the Support Group then you'll be backdated the money to the 14th week of your claim. If it's WRAG you will remain on assessment rate £73.10 per week.
  • titchyyyy
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    If you have a work capability assessment what was the Tribunal for? weren't you placed into a group by the Tribunal? Or were you placed into the WRAG and you have a work focused interview? (WFI)

Edited to add, i see from your other thread the Tribunal was because you failed to attend the previous assessment. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5973850

This means if the decision is the Support Group then you'll be backdated the money to the 14th week of your claim. If it's WRAG you will remain on assessment rate £73.10 per week.

Thank you Poppy.

I appreciate that. Exactly the information I required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure