Nationwide? No!

Options
I left Nationwide over 2 years ago. They don't seem to realise I left, because they still send me Emails regarding an account I no longer have.

Yes, I left in the proper manner, still have the Account Closure letter.
If they had a branch nearer than 22 miles away, I would have extended the long time that I was with them. Now there is no way that I would return, even if they opened a branch in my closest town of Louth, just a 3 mile drive. And even if they extended the 5% interest on the account for more than 12 months. Instead I have the (hopefully) permanent TSB 3% on up to £1500 and 2% on the Monthly Saver. And a friendly branch that I can visit any time.
I think this job really needs
a much bigger hammer.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    I left Nationwide over 2 years ago. They don't seem to realise I left, because they still send me Emails regarding an account I no longer have.

Yes, I left in the proper manner, still have the Account Closure letter.
    If they had a branch nearer than 22 miles away, I would have extended the long time that I was with them. Now there is no way that I would return, even if they opened a branch in my closest town of Louth, just a 3 mile drive. And even if they extended the 5% interest on the account for more than 12 months. Instead I have the (hopefully) permanent TSB 3% on up to £1500 and 2% on the Monthly Saver. And a friendly branch that I can visit any time.

This is not reeally reason to recommend against Nationwide. The branch problem is specific to you. With regard to the e-mails, are they really specific to the closed account or more general marketing e-mails? What do they actually say about the closed account?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The problem is the hardcore on here will not like you posting this sort of thing. You're only allowed to post about things they approve of or consider important, and in the same way they might. They feel they have ownership of this forum and police it very strictly!

I have the same issue - got an email from Nationwide today telling me the way I log in will change. I've not has a Nationwide account for years. Usually this sort of thing happens because of a database glitch where a mailing list picks up old accounts. Today's email contained my postcode and name.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Contact nationwide and ask them to remove you from their marketing lists.

It really is as simple as that - no “hardcore” posting or “forum policing” required.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    This is not reeally reason to recommend against Nationwide. The branch problem is specific to you. With regard to the e-mails, are they really specific to the closed account or more general marketing e-mails? What do they actually say about the closed account?

Obviously a Forum policeman!
    How is it specific to me? When Nationwide closed all the branches in Estate Agents all over the UK, they affected many more than me!

And from the other post here, they are obviously not general marketing Emails. Best to know what you are talking about before you indulge in Forum Policing activities.

You didn't even read me my rights!:p
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    I'd be tempted to see if your old login credentials are still active, even if your account is closed. It could be a simple IT mix up. A similar thing happened to me with Santander - I have no active accounts but my internet banking is still active after switching away.

But otherwise as above, write/email them to request that they unsubscribe you from their emails. They have an obligation under GDPR to stop using your details for marketing purposes if you withdraw your consent.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    scgf wrote: »
    The problem is the hardcore on here will not like you posting this sort of thing. You're only allowed to post about things they approve of or consider important, and in the same way they might. They feel they have ownership of this forum and police it very strictly!

I have the same issue - got an email from Nationwide today telling me the way I log in will change. I've not has a Nationwide account for years. Usually this sort of thing happens because of a database glitch where a mailing list picks up old accounts. Today's email contained my postcode and name.
    What are you smoking? Where is the policing and censorship? Did you have your post removed/redacted?

The so called by you "hardcore" members are merely expressing their opinion on the matter, just like you have. Everyone is free to heed or not their advice.

@OP most likely your online banking user account is still active, despite you not having any accounts with Nationwide - hence you receive updates. Many banks will keep your online banking user account in place (some might suspend it) even if you no longer have bank accounts with them - this makes your potential return to them easier for everyone. If you want them to stop - just inform them.

Of course you are free to express your displeasure with Nationwide for them closing your local branch. Many others wouldn't care as they have no use for local branches whatsoever.
  • hoc
    hoc Posts: 557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There is a problem with certain frequent posters quickly putting in dismissive replies e.g. "don't like it, change bank", "call customer service" getting their cult giving "thanks" points and discouraging debate. It's not unique to this forum, it's unfortunately the way most forums go, much of Reddit has become like this. It's all about points/karma and largely tied to first to respond.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hoc wrote: »
    There is a problem with certain frequent posters quickly putting in dismissive replies e.g. "don't like it, change bank", "call customer service" getting their cult giving "thanks" points and discouraging debate. It's not unique to this forum, it's unfortunately the way most forums go, much of Reddit has become like this. It's all about points/karma and largely tied to first to respond.

Actually, you’ll find it’s more to do with providing the correct response rather than seeking “thanks”.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Contact nationwide and ask them to remove you from their marketing lists.
    This is the correct answer and is an example of a useful post that deserves thanks. Nothing to do with 'cult' or 'karma'...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Actually, you’ll find it’s more to do with providing the correct response rather than seeking “thanks”.
    Lol! It's all about the ego of the respondents. They often make hundreds (and more) of posts and act like old fashioned bank managers. They like to put people down presumably because it makes them feel better and they will attach anyone who has a different opinion to their own. Their demeanour is unquestionably that of someone who feels superior to the rest of us. I just wish I could block certain people on here so I don't see their comments and they don't see mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure