Does an executor client bank account have a cheque book?

Options
Hi all,

we're finally putting selling our dad's house and need a defects survey done quickly. We have a solicitor that handles everything including keeping our inherited money in an estate bank account.

The surveyors (very reputable) are requesting either a cheque or bank card details which they'll keep on hold until the survey is completed and then bill. They won't consider a bank transfer (from client account). The survey is £900 which we personally don't have - and would rather any monies are kept separate to our client account. BUT the solicitor is wanting them to invoice them to the estate which the surveyors won't do because they say it takes too long to recoup their fees.

I'm wanting to move quickly on this - will our client bank account have a cheque book attached? can I request a cheque which I will happily drive over to the company. Is there another way of transferring money from our client account to the surveyor's account?

Thank you in anticipation!

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could you clarify the position?

The solicitor has obtained probate and has gathered up the monies owned by the deceased and is holding them in his client account?

You are the sole beneficiary of the estate?

You want the solicitor to pay for the survey from the client account?

I would imagine that he will hold a cheque book for the account - have you asked?
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Leave the surveyor and the solicitor to it - there will be a cheque book but most solicitors prefer bank transfers these days. Not sure why surveyors not happy with this.

Is this Scotland? otherwise why are you having a survey?
  • Woolington
    Options
    Hi both,
    it's not Scotland, and the survey is to investigate an area of damage to the house prior to sale.

The estate is going through probate - expected in January and I'm one of four executors.

The solicitor has put aside a sum of money as a sort of 'petty cash'. She's given permission for the estate to pay for the survey, but wants the company to invoice the estate (perhaps there's a legal reason for this??) the company are objecting to this, saying that when they've done it previously (not our estate) they don't get paid for months so don't want to use this method.

I don't know enough about money transfers... after a long day sorting out the surveyor the solicitor had gone home early so I couldn't ask about the chequebook... I think I need to accept that its going to be too optimistic for the house to go on the market before Christmas. It all works in my head! but probably not in reality!

thank you
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Solicitors do have cheques, it's either a cheque book or they print a cheque.

The solicitors need an invoice in order to settle the bill and have proof of where the money was spent.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Flugelhorn
    Options
    agreed solicitors will need invoice for their audit trail. Having said that, getting bills paid by solicitors can take ages - in GP practice we stopped doing solicitors work unless pad upfront (they needed an invoice for that and usually paid by bank transfer or cheque)

Are you sure you want the house on the market before Xmas?
  • Woolington
    Options
    Thank you all! that really clarifies things -so it's a necessity rather than the solicitor being awkward.

Are you sure you want the house on the market before Xmas?

I think that's going to be my next thread! the pros and cons of selling over Christmas - Things with the step siblings/other executors have become so acrimonious that we all want it to be over asap. A canny estate agent has cottoned onto this - I'm not sure if marketing before Christmas is even realistic timewise, but she got in quick with the photographer etc. so we're committed now. At least it's a step forward though as we were previously deadlocked in open market/auction war.

When it's all over I think I'll sleep for weeks, and then grieve our parents and OUR family home - it's been warfare for 6ms now, it's utterly exhausting!
  • Flugelhorn
    edited 9 December 2019 at 9:47AM
    Options
    The solicitor and surveyor are just doing what they normally do, trouble is doesn't suit each other.

If it is all ready to go and everyone is agreed then best get on with it before someone changes their mind.

I sold a house under probate last year (never have I been so grateful to be an only child ;) no falling out!) - re the time to marketing, I got them round on Monday, appointed them Tuesday, photos, EPC, floorplan Friday, details online the next Wednesday,
    So it can be done - trust you are not doing viewings yourself? I suppose the thing is how many people are viewing at this time of the year?? that is the question
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    Options
    When I was selling my mother's house, we actually had a viewer whilst I was still signing the paperwork as the guy was outside & posting the for sale sign. I think they must have been stalking him! No actually he had rung them. That is not the EA but the guy posting the sign!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure