HMRC arrangement

Options
13»

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    I've never for one minute said I don't want to pay what I owe although I do object to being fleeced for interest at 30% when up against the wall.

It was Jan 18 when the card payment thing came in so we are talking about this years tax and a chunk of last years and yes, over 2 years of stress and banging my head against a brick wall to try and find away out of it before something drastic happens to my health. It had already seriously affected my mental health but I know I'm not the only one on that situation on here. And the house I want to remortgage is a rented out BTL with a long term Tennant who I am now forced to consider evicting in order to sell the house, a situation I have been trying to avoid

It actually goes back further than last year's tax because of the way it's worked out and paid.

You've already had a suggestion of the first step to take in getting some help in sorting out your situation - the SOA. That's now been mentioned at least three times on the thread. we're more than happy to offer some assistance to you, but we can't do that without some information from you. At this stage, if I were you, I'd be wanting to take some practical steps to see what I could do to start dealing with things - it's not going to get any better on its own, and railing against HMRC, the CC company or anyone else is not going to change things. It's happened, you know how to not let it happen again in the future, now start taking the steps to fix it.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • moatmeister
    Options
    Ok thanks all for your inputs cheers! :beer:
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

HMRC don't accept credit cards for the very reason that people find themselves in the situation that you have - your obligations to them should be paid from the money that you have earned on which it is liable, not using borrowed funds.

Actually HMRC don’t accept credit cards because of the fees they were charged to accept them. They do accept business credit cards still. And I think you will find that if you end up in debt to them they will encourage you to borrow from whatever source possible in order to pay them off!
    OP, while you’re still SA unfortunately it’s extremely difficult to get a payment arrangement that will last beyond 12 months. On top of that you will still be expected to pay your liabilities as normal- I would seriously get yourself some advice.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    Actually HMRC don’t accept credit cards because of the fees they were charged to accept them.

Yes - fair comment, although it is for good reason in fairness. Having said that the fact that they don't allow use of CC's any more can only help to stop others from finding themselves in this position.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • moatmeister
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    OP, while you’re still SA unfortunately it’s extremely difficult to get a payment arrangement that will last beyond 12 months. On top of that you will still be expected to pay your liabilities as normal- I would seriously get yourself some advice.

Yes I will thanks I've had enough of all this I want to get my life back but I will also be trying to get a business Cc to help deal with January's impending tax disaster. Also I have heard of the "curve" card which apparently is a debit card that recharges to a linked credit card. ��
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    Also I have heard of the "curve" card which apparently is a debit card that recharges to a linked credit card.

MSE covered this about 2 years ago - and even mentions paying the HMRC this way

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/01/new-curve-card-lets-you-connect-your-existing-cards-and-use-it-for-spending---but-heres-what-you-need-to-watch-out-for/

Personally it seems quite high risk as you're paying 2% per month on the outstanding balance. You'll need to be quite disciplined to pay it down in full but good luck. Let us know how you get on.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure