Barclays > HSBC Switch, overdraft problems

Options
investme
investme Posts: 106 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 19 April 2018 at 9:53AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi folks,

I switched my account from barclays to HSBC as my interest free £1000 OD was expiring, plus HSBC had a £200 switch incentive.

From what i could tell the switch went okay. The day of the switch my balance with barclays was -£700~ or so. I was on holiday at the time, and as the HSBC account is new i had no access to online banking. When i came back a few days later and checked the balance, it was -£900 or so (after some DDs) as expected and barclays had written to me to confirm my account closure.

Fast forward to yesterday (still no online banking codes with HSBC) and i thought i'd check my balance in an ATM to discover it was £75 (so nearly £1000 up from what i anticipated). Telephone banking refused to help me and i went in branch, who couldn't work it out either and printed me a statement to show me opening the account with a balance of £0 and a few odd transactions since.

She said the only thing she could think of was that the OD was paid off initially but for 'some reason' it bounced back. I can't fathom why this wouldn't show on the statement she printed. My online banking for barclays is now showing an account in 'arrears'.

I have tried barclays this morning on live chat as i am at work and all they had to say is that the account has no OD but has a balance of £-700. I am concerned at being in arrears with barclays, i am in the middle of buying a house and any sort of flag on my credit report is not what i need (yes i know closing an account will impact my score slightly).

Is this normal for the switch service? From the info i had read, the whole thing is supposed to flow through seamlessly. I am going to speak to Barclays as soon as i have the time to make a phone call today but would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Did HSBC offer you enough of an overdraft to pay off the Barclays one?
  • investme
    edited 19 April 2018 at 10:53AM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Did HSBC offer you enough of an overdraft to pay off the Barclays one?

Yes they did. 3x more infact, although i "only" took £1000

Edit: Just on the phone with barclays. Whole thing is a joke. apparently they needed to give HSBC the 'internal sort code and account number' to be able to clear the OD, which they didn't. Neither of the banks informed me of the issue. Apparently i am only just within the first cycle (whatever that means) of being in arrears, so i am clearing it now by debit card on the phone, however if that hadn't been done i would have been on a repayment plan reported to credit referencing agencies.

Little warning to anyone that switches with an OD, keep an eye on it and make sure it definitely has cleared the balance a few weeks on even if it appeared to go through initially and you've received a letter confirming account closure.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    investme wrote: »
    Little warning to anyone that switches with an OD, keep an eye on it and make sure it definitely has cleared the balance a few weeks on even if it appeared to go through initially and you've received a letter confirming account closure.

Another suggestion for people.... never choose a switch date for when you will be on holiday. If it goes wrong you may not know until you need money from your account, and sorting it out while you are out of the country might be expensive and/or complicated. And could spoil a very nice holiday :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • investme
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Another suggestion for people.... never choose a switch date for when you will be on holiday. If it goes wrong you may not know until you need money from your account, and sorting it out while you are out of the country might be expensive and/or complicated. And could spoil a very nice holiday :)

The thing is it was fine after the switch, and for a week after and i was keeping an eye on it. The transfer of funds 'bounced' back after 2 weeks or so :mad:
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    A debit balance doesn't switch from the old to the new account. It stays on the old account, you have to arrange to clear it yourself.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It would have been easier to use the overdraft given at HSBC to pay into Barclays and then switched, as you now owe the money to HSBC.

Please explain if you initiated the switch while you were still in an overdraft? I have had experiences with switches being denied due to the overdraft and has to be paid off before the switch can be completed.

What happened in your case?

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing