PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling - 1 Viewing in 2 weeks

Options
We had a buyer for our house (found privately), but their circumstances changed part way through the process, so we have had to put the house up for sale - this time with an estate agents.

The house has been on the market now for 2 weeks and so far we've only had 1 viewing. The house is a shared ownership 3 bed semi with a large recent conservatory and the price is in line with other shared ownership properties that have sold recently so just wondered if anyone could give any feedback on why it may not be getting more interest (other than it being shared ownership).

We do have the option of selling the house as a 100% outright sale, which I have mentioned to the estate agents but so far they've not responded to the suggestion.

Rightmove Link: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67265630.html

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im ignorant on shared ownership so that in itself would be a biggish barrier for me to booking a viewing.

Firstly, the house itself is fine. You can tell its lived in so there isnt that much in the way of show home photos. The garden is a bit weedy looking but probably too much a pita to sort. Just little things like the washing basket and the loose wiring from the tv etc. General stuff in the conservatory.

Im in penwortham in a 3 bed semi and somewhat conservatively value it at £120k in my head. For that i get a lot more garden space but i dont get the newer build nor the conservatory. Chorley seems to me to be a bit cheaper than preston so id say it was a touch over priced.

The local market is full of similar houses. So buyers have plenty to choose from. Dont think its ever been an area where properties sell really quick, i think its just a case of patience with the price your asking.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    The photos aren't great - I can clearly see what the arms of your sofas and that one particular segment of kitchen worktop look like, but I can't tell how spacious the house is or get any idea of the layout - where's the floorplan?
    Is there room for a dining space anywhere?
    Garden could do with a good weeding session.
  • Ragtimeplayer
    Ragtimeplayer Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    It looks like a really nice house and very cheaply priced. have you had a look at what others have sold for recently in your area?
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!
    Cigarettes NOT smoked = 240,945
    Smoke free days = 11 Years :T
    Cash saved so far = £125,45,11
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it is quite expensive for 50% share leasehold house. You can buy a 3 bed house non leasehold 100% for less than £140k in Chorley.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quite simply: shared ownership has limited appeal. Also, the price of £75000 looks very appealing until you read on and find it's shared ownership. (My son was drawn in, then disappointed by such an EA ad some years ago)
    The conservatory looks like a dumping ground and a simple bottle of lawn weedkiller and a lawnmower would sort the lawn in a couple of days.
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the comments so far.

I agree that the biggest stumbling block is it being shared ownership.

With regards to the comments about the price, the previous buyers we had in place had the house valued by their mortgage lender and the valuation came back at £145,000 so £72,000 is about right with the hope of getting around £70,000.

I'm not overly happy with the photos (that the estate agents did) but there are tenants in the house at present (moving out in a couple of weeks) so I'm inclined to wait til they've moved out, get cleaners in then get some brighter photos done.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    gazfocus wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments so far.

I agree that the biggest stumbling block is it being shared ownership.

With regards to the comments about the price, the previous buyers we had in place had the house valued by their mortgage lender and the valuation came back at £145,000 so £72,000 is about right with the hope of getting around £70,000.

I'm not overly happy with the photos (that the estate agents did) but there are tenants in the house at present (moving out in a couple of weeks) so I'm inclined to wait til they've moved out, get cleaners in then get some brighter photos done.
    IMO, there's your problem right there
  • Dreysha
    Options
    Gazfocus, you are trying to sell a shared ownership property yet you've been subletting!? Are you aware you are in breech of your lease?! Shared owners are not permitted to sublet so you shouldn't have any tenants living there. Perhaps the Housing Association should be made aware of this situation...
  • gazfocus
    gazfocus Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I disagree that the fact there's tenants in the house is the issue, as no-one would be able to tell that from a Rightmove listing?

@Dreysha - for your information, the house is being sublet WITH the housing association AND the mortgage lenders permission (the mortgage lenders permission is granted on the condition of written permission from the housing association) so thanks for your concern but please don't make assumptions that I'm not sensible enough to seek permission before risking my house! I also find it amusing that you felt the need to sign up to a forum simply to accuse me of breaching my lease.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Shared ownership works when a property bubble is strong and contagious, people think they have to get a piece of the action or lose out, when that bubble starts to pop it looks like the worst plan on earth (because it is)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure