PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting House Viewings

Options

Comments

• Caraway90
    Caraway90 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The parking set up would put me off, I like to be able to park at the front of my house and go in the front door. Obviously you can't change this though so not a very helpful comment sorry!
    FTB 2017 :D
  • Amoux
    Amoux Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 May 2018 at 1:26PM
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said. Despite the rooms looking quite small, as a 4 bed house, it would have been more marketable aimed as a family house. If it has a garage, it most certainly needs a picture as it's not all that clear (only in the description). I kind of think this house would appeal more to young professionals/students as a house share with low maintenance - so for a buyer they might see it more as investment potential. Not sure the feasibility of this, being in Weston...

And it's a matter of personal taste, but the garden doesn't really work as a family home, particular one with young kids as there is no room for children to play and the pizza oven (love it or hate it) is not appropriate either. Knocking down the conservatory has bizarrely lost you more outdoor space as you have seemed to have taken to "cluttering up" the garden and losing a room in the process. Simplicity in my view would have been better, with some flowers/plants to give it some life but not too much where it becomes high maintenance.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think grey is so last year or the year before that or even the year before that. The interior needs brightening up it look as if the photos are in black and white and I am sure that most people will think that it needs redecorating.

I hate the garden that is all beige no colour at all and small with that thing in the middle right in the view.
  • franklee
    franklee Posts: 3,867 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Adding up the possible to skip hardcore:

The old conservatory base currently under the decking near the house (is it reusable).
    The oven.
    The base and backs of the patio seating that looks like rendered walls (top is decking which is reusable).
    Possibly the side planter that also looks like rendered walls although it may be a keeper.

Looks to me like a lot of work and a skip as I assume any buyer would have a car due to the parking size.

Presumably the skip can't go by the back gate as access is under the archway. So presumably barrow out the back gate, round the side to the road.

Could hire a van but then you have to pay at the dump anyway. I wouldn't use a man and van as the homeowner has to ask to see the certificates or be a risk of fly tipping.

Obviously people buy and renovate all the time but I would be thinking how much is it going to cost.

All together in a small garden it gives an overbearing impression to me.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options
    Garden - get rid of the cable drum - at least for the pictures. Get some colour in there - green plants, some flowers in colourful pots etc.

Show the dining area in a photo.
    Show the parking in a photo.
    Declutter a bit in the office and the bathroom.

Otherwise, a fairly nice clean house. Not my cup of tea, as I prefer detached. If the agent took the photos, then make them come back and do them again to show off the house at its best.
    Good luck.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gream0604 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Its really useful to have someone look over as a critial eye, as I hadn't even considered some of the things that have been mentioned.

I think I am going to do the following:

1. Change one of the lounge/diner pictures to one that shows the dining area
    2. Add a picture of the garage/parking space.
    3. Pull out the sofa bed in bedroom 3 and stage it as a bedroom so you can see that a double bed will fit.
    4. Try and get some cheap planters in the back garden, and maybe consider taking some photos at night with the pizza oven lit up.

Anything else I am missing here?

Too optimistically priced for the current market?
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    I think the back garden is aimed at totally the wrong market, having a cable reel in the back garden as a table might seem a good idea but it looks what it is, a cable reel. Lose the pizza oven its not practical in a family home, keep the decking but tidy up the edges as looks a proper DIY job, I would look to lay lawn for the rest of the garden (apart from a path of some sort maybe stepping stones to gate).

Try to make all of the bedrooms actual bedrooms rather than craft room/extra reception room. this may require hiring storage space but you need to present the house correctly.

A lot of this sort of designed houses are actually 3 bed houses with two large bedrooms and family bathroom on the middle floor, this seems to be popular as you get larger rooms, your house seems to be unusual being a 4 bed terraced, not many of those about in that area.

You are very close to the west coast main line and the M5 which is going to be a huge limiting factor, on this basis I would be looking to market this more against 3 bed semi town houses with that in mind I think your probably £20k too high, probably not what you wanted to hear.
  • gream0604
    gream0604 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    So I have asked the agent to update some of the photos. It turns out that they took most of the ones that were missing, so not sure why they were not used?!

Also took some new ones of the garden after power washing the patio, moving the cable reel out the way, and adding a few pots, and tidying up the raised bed a bit.

They are in the process of renaming the photos, and I have also asked if we can advertise as a 3 bed with office/4th bedroom to try and capture more in the search results.

Here is the link again for anyone who is interested in having another look. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54106680.html

Hopefully we might get some more interest now?
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry but would only say it's marginally better - still very beige and rules out a lot of families which is who it should be appealing to. Needs dressing.

Can you also sort out the dead plant outside the front of the house? Didn't notice the yellow/green before on the storm porch (and roof - but that's not so obvious). Can it be cleaned off?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with others that it is definitely not a FTB house.

With 4 bedrooms, it's a family house but the garden is designed entirely for adults and not in the least bit child friendly.

Your rotary washing line looks to be very close to the seating so it looks like when it's full of washing, people have to sit with your smalls dangling above their head :eek: :rotfl:

Although I personally don't like town houses, I do think that yours is nicely presented (apart from the garden of course).

I also think it might be a mistake to advertise it as a 3 bed rather than 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure