Electricity price high?

Options
JackieD63
JackieD63 Posts: 17 Forumite
Hi
Im new to this so please bear with me...
I have my electricity account with EDF. Last year they put in a new meter as the old one was faulty. In December I had a bill for £218. I spoke to someone on the phone to set up a direct debit. I was told to pay £40 a month which I have been doing (although I thought it was a bit low). Last week I had another bill for £434, including £110 from my outstanding debt and my direct debit was raised to £153 per month.
After speaking to customer services I paid the £110 outstanding.
I was told my direct debit would now be £113 a month.
That would pay £38 off my debt and £75 for my usage.
I can't understand how I use £75 per month as I only have a small one bed flat, Im the only one living here and am out 40 hours a week at work.
It's on warmwise tariff, similar to Economy 7.
I only have Electricity, no gas.
Is this about the average cost?
I will struggle to pay the £75 usage cost let alone £113 !!

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 10:42PM
    Options
    You've just been paying the winter months, so should have time to save up a bit over summer.

We can't really advise if £75/month is reasonable, as we don't know flat size, age or location. That's about what my tenants in a two bed 1970's flat in Reading pay.

Edit: Why not try turning your storage heater inputs down on nights where you are out at work the next day, but turn them up in the morning before you leave the house? Then you won't be needlessly heating an empty house, but it should be toasty when you get in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure