British gas & Elec HELP needed

Options
Newtonlot
Newtonlot Posts: 191 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Am totally at a loss as what to do.

My parents moved home in january. They contacted british gas to let them know both the gas and elec readings in the new house on the day that they moved in.
In april they received their bills. Gas was fine but the elec showed a different reading - we presume the people who sold the house have not paid their bill.
My folks contacted BG to ask them why they had not used the reading the gave on 19th Jan. They said they had no record of it - funny that they had record of the gas though. They said they would look into it and get it changed. Well it's now july and my folks have had letters threatening to be cut off and the balifs if they do not pay the bill. They have made over 15 phonecalls to them telling them that they will not pay for the last owners bill and that they want the reading and bill amended. I have even phoned saying I was my mam and was told that they were dealing with it and it would be two weeks and to ignore the legal letters. After two weeks my mam rang as they had had no reply, and was told 'oh no it can take 6 weeks to rectify the problem' Don't understand this. Surely it takes a few mionutes to fix the bill. Yes it may take 6 weeks for them to sort out the other persons stuff but that should not affect my folks. My dad is passed himself, he is on the sick with post traumatic stress and does not need the hassle. The day the balifs were due he sat in his underwear waiting for them to knock on the door but no one turned up.
So today my folks have received another bill, showing the correct reading and bill but then on page 2 it shows previous amount still outstanding and have added that to the bill.
My mam just keeps getting fobbed off when she rings and is fed up. They are tempted just to pay it but I keep reminding them that it is not their responsiblity to pay it.
Does anyone know of how I can get this resolved? I am so glad I am with powergen. I will never use BG and my folks are going to switch as soon as we have this sorted.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Newtonlot on an MSE mission

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would suggest putting it all in writing to their complaints department and sending it by recorded delivery (and extra 65p).

Sometimes putting things in writing makes things clearer than dealing with different people on the phone.
    Putting it into the hands of a "customer relations team" may yield different results to just the normal call center.
  • Newtonlot
    Options
    Thanks Lisyloo. I have just rang them to tell them I would draft up a letter for them, and my dad told me my mam is on the phone to them now.
    So I'll keep you updated.
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Look on the back of the bill Newtonlot. Is there a name/no to complain to outside of Br. Gas?

Aren't these utility companies governed by an outside company regarding complaints?

I've probably got the name wrong but it's Ofwat or something like that.

HTH.
  • Newtonlot
    Options
    Cheers Massie. My mam is still on the phone to them. She has said she'll ring me when she gets off the phone. Just wish I was with them so that I could do the talking as my mam gets too worked up and accepts what they say.
    Have been looking on the net for the contact details and am waiting till dh gets home to help me write the letter.
  • Bullshine_2
    Options
    update please???
  • Newtonlot
    Options
    Sorry forgot which board I had posted on.
    My mam managed to spek to someone who sounded like they knew what they were doing. They explained that all of the other people she had spoken to had done what ever they need to do wrong. She would cancel what they had done and do it right. And told my mam it would take 3 weeks for another bill to come out. They were on the phone for aout an hour. My mam says the girl listened and sympathised alot with her which is more than any of the others had, they had just wanted her off the phone.
    I am still going to write a letter for her, but am waiting on the outcome of this call. I think they still need to know what poor service they have given.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport