Emergency Fund Poll - How prepared are you for an emergency?

Options

Comments

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've a small amount stashed that I routinely dent for the lads birthdays & Christmas but I keep rebuilding it.
    Thinking of a car or boiler, I need to try harder.
    <heads off the challenge thread>

For Christmas, I did surveys, lots and lots of surveys which pretty much covered all the presents. I'm building up the voucher pot for birthdays as we speak.

For all other savings, I stalk the debt free and mortgage free wannabee threads, it's amazing the money saving/making tips they come up with!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    Yes - I'm MSE to the core! Emergency Fund at the ready!
    Even as a pocket money recipient I didn't spend every penny I had and put a little aside.

A small hardship every week is better than a major one at an unexpected time.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I keep reading this as "emergency fun", like we should all have a stash of jokes and party hats for unexpected fun times. :D
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No - I'd need to rely on Credit :(
    I don't have a boiler, but I would be stymied without the washing machine, and I very much begrudged finding £300 for a new lock on my double glazed front door 2 years ago. I've voted based on my present very low income.
  • katherinegrey
    Options
    Our emergency fund has been pretty much wiped out by both cars breaking down simultaneously. I know that’s what it was there for but having £300 left scares me. I’d be able to pay for a washing machine or boiler repair, but f it needed replacing it’d have to be credit cards, which are thankfully blank and genuine emergency cards. We’re also buying and selling a house, so our actual savings are almost gone too. We had savings, an emergency fund and a holiday fund and all three are looking very low right now. That’s life I suppose.
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've got sufficient funds to cover most emergencies and plenty of family and friends who would be happy to help us financially and practically.

Irony is that when we were younger with dependent kids, we had less money coming in, much higher outgoings and our friends and family had no spare room or cash to help us if we would've hit hard times. That lack of safety net (even though we had the usual life/home/car insurances) was a big worry.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Emergency fund size depends on a number of factor.

Budget
    A proper budget will have most thing in it already with contingency for things that will need replacing or are a bit unpredictable.
    The emergency is when it happen a bit earlier than predicted so needs a top up.
    eg if you think a washing machine should last 10 years by year 5 you should have 1/2 set aside already, if very organized you migh weight the replacement to the latter years rather than spread evenly.

£1k extra put aside is quite generous if you are planning properly on lifecycle of things.

Also other events need planning like if you have elderly relatives save some money to attend the funerals, especially if they live a long way away and it might need hotel or flights.

An emergency should only happen once as it should be in the budget after the first time.

Free cashflow
    If you are saving each month, you can just stop saving to cover the things not in the budget and top up the fund if it drops to low.

recovery time
    how long to restore the fund, if it was wipes out how long to recover, if more than 6 months I think it needs to be a bit bigger to start and only stop adding when it recoverable in 6 months.

The above is about dealing with money out incidences.

The other much more important incident to think about and fund is loss of income, I call this the

disaster fund.
    This needs to be enough to cover costs for a period till you restore income.

Size will depend on factors like number of earners, benefits available, job market.

the longer you think it will take to get a job the more funds you need to cover expenses.

The next fund which is an extension of the disaster fund and is the ultimate disaster fund as you can reduce income long term.

A well balanced retirement fund with some in reasonably accessible places like S&S ISA, term saving premium bonds etc. can be a source for the disaster fund as you only need access a bit at a time to cover costs and can take the hit on some loss of income if there are penaties on withdrawing.
  • SuperPikachu
    Options
    Nope I have absolutely zilch.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    I only have about £200 in savings ): thankfully I am in a rented house so I wouldn't have to pay for a boiler, but I do struggle with saving.
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Yes - I'm MSE to the core! Emergency Fund at the ready!
    Yes for the car, although since we live in London and use public transport to commute it is actually a luxury we could do without if it broke down (it's useful for big supermarket trips or visiting the parents but could get by for those with online shopping, taxis or hire cars).

As we are renting we don't need to cover the boiler/washing machine/roof ourselves but are saving for when we do own and these will be our responsibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure