PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Options

Comments

• Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I'm not certain but I think "boiled wool" in the sense of yarn before it's knitted up was a kind of advertising wording for its having been sterilised, I believe by hot steam passing through it (with of course no movement and so no shrinkage).

I do knit enormous floppy socks, 13-15 inches long in the foot, using Aran pure-wool on 6mm DPNs, all loopy and floppy and loose - and huge! Then I pop them in with the normal laundry for a few times, and warily and cautiously tumble-dry them, and they end up as a Size 6.5 for me, and Size 9 for my chap, and they are so unbelievably warm and cosy, it's gorgeous! We wear them as bed-socks and slippers.
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    Oh and the Woollie horse - if you have hand-knit jumpers, it's worth having one, if you can get one... I originally had it because it was in our house when we moved into it in the 1970s when I was a kid, but then I lent it to someone who never returned it (grrr!) but eventually I got the £35 out of her to snap up another one spotted on eBay...

This is them, exactly the same as my current and the lost one!

https://www.kariebookish.net/blog/4489
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,089 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This morning, I tried on the sweater and it fits. It’s a bit more snug than I would have liked but not by much. I would say there is zero/possibly negative ease when I was hoping for maybe an inch of positive ease. The length has not been compromised, so I won’t be struggling to tuck it into my skirts or trousers. The sleeves are shorter than I’d like but that’s because I ran out of yarn.

I’ve updated the photos on Ravelry. Please take a look. (Just wish I could figure out how to link directly to them on an iPad.). Although I enjoyed knitting with Gotland, I’m not impressed by the dye job. As you can see from the before-and-after-washing photos, it never took and has pretty much washed away, leaving the Gotland’s natural grey on show.

I’ve also finished the second sweater on my list, a red version of Susan Crawford’s Sun-ray Ribbing, using 3 skeins of her Ghyll yarn which was released in special kits as part of her FUBC fund-raising for breast cancer research in 2017. You may remember that I spent 4 coupons early last year buying a third kit, so that I’d have enough of the red colourway to knit a jumper. I’m glad I did; even after small modifications so that I had enough yarn to knit the collar, I’m down to scraps (the longest reminant I have left is 6 inches long). Now I’m contemplating what I could knit with the three white skeins from the kits.
    Oh and the Woollie horse - if you have hand-knit jumpers, it's worth having one, if you can get one... I originally had it because it was in our house when we moved into it in the 1970s when I was a kid, but then I lent it to someone who never returned it (grrr!) but eventually I got the £35 out of her to snap up another one spotted on eBay...

This is them, exactly the same as my current and the lost one!

https://www.kariebookish.net/blog/4489

Ooohhh..... I am tempted. It’ll take 2-3 months before the wool fund has been replenished enough to buy one but, in the meantime, I’ve followed the link from Karie Westerman’s blog to the Jamieson & Smith website and added my email to their “notify when back in stock” list.

- Pip. (2 jumpers down, 3 to go from the Must Finish List.)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately, Gotland felts really easily for a fibre that waves rather than crimps. I have a favourite pair of slippers made from Gotland, hand-felted & embroidered in Dorset feather stitch, with soles cut from an old leather sofa. Won me a prize at the county craft show!

I'd echo the advice to block gently back to shape, and wash very carefully in future. Hope it works!
    Angie - GC May 24 £156.41/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh it looks great, Pip - although I see what you mean about the colour, still it looks very soft and natural.

I applaud you for getting on with those WIPs, I have a real mental block on restarting things that are unfinished. Silly really because a lot of the work has already been done, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to get them out of the bag, it's always more fun to start a new project.

I was 3/4 of the way through a gorgeous (and quite difficult) jumper for my friend's son, lost my knitting mojo and of course he is now too big for it (grrr). However she is now expecting another baby so I really must finish it, I think it only needs a neckbands and a bit of embroidery/making up. That's why this challenge is so good for me, if we were rationed you'd use up every scrap of wool before buying anything new!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Glad to hear that the jumper is at least wearable - I did feel for you when I read your earlier post!

I've just found out why my sleeves were wrong - I left a whole section of the increases out! Silly me. That's two sleeves that I will now have to redo.... Hey- ho, its a good job that the evenings are still long.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    We finally have curtains up - no, we haven't blown coupons buying them, these are the green velvet curtains that were bought in 1979 for my childhood bedroom! A bit faded, so the original dark olive green is now a gentle, rather lovely, warm greengage golden-green colour, but perfectly fine otherwise.

Well done, John Lewis curtain dept, 1979! It shows that buying good quality pure-cotton velvet was worth it, if they are still in use 40 years later!

49454783_10158106550509606_4191001612531007488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-1.fna&oh=cf372828c84af4746ff85091f4572f64&oe=5CD0B9CB

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ooh they are gorgeous! I really don't like new stuff - I can remember complimenting a friend on her new sofa and saying 'it looks as if you've had it forever', luckily she understood, so that soft look really appeals to me. It must have been a huge job measuring them to hem or whatever you needed to do.

I wonder if the equivalent bought today, even from John Lewis, will last as long. I'm not likely to be around to find out! :rotfl:
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • vintagegal
    vintagegal Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magnificent curtains Laura_Elsewhere, how lucky to still have them. My parents don't keep anything.

All this knitting talk has made me realise what a beginner I am! It is like another language. I only learnt to do a purl stitch yesterday! Oh well, we all have to start somewhere.. I'd love to be able to knit something to wear one day, maybe for next winter!

I have already fallen off the wagon by ordering two pairs of shoes, well trainer type things. So that's 10 points already and its only day 6 of the year! And I don't 'need' them, I just wanted them. If I don't absolutely love them when they come, I will send them back.

I know the sales are my weakness so I will try not to look online any more. I've been unsubscribing from emails too, but Instagram is an issue for me. It's not just following the retailers, I seem to be able to get inspiration from anything :rotfl:

I downloaded the Fashion on the Ration book and started reading it last night, very interesting about how many items of clothing people would have had. What we think is normal now is just so excessive compared with even before the war.

I have also seen a dress I am hankering after (not in the sale, new in and literally my perfect denim dress). Do I need it?? No.

Am going to try and watch the Marie Kondo programme this week, maybe that will help me want to live with less stuff!

Have agreed with my friend that we will have a day out in the Spring somewhere nice to go round the charity shops and have lunch. Will check out the Oxfam link as well, thank you.

Sorry to ramble on, think I am going to need a lot of encouragement this year. I'd like to lose some weight so that is kind of making me think twice about buying clothes, but shoes are another matter..

Also do we count jewellery in this challenge? I mean junky stuff not the real deal.
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,089 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I love the colour of the curtains, Laura. They’re a little long but otherwise look gorgeous.

Vintagegal, we are the knitting Borg. We will assimilate you. :j I’d suggest that you spend a ball of yarn just practising stitches and then knit a hat. It will work up reasonably quickly and give you something you can wear. It will also give you a chance to learn every technique you’ll ever need to knit a sweater.

Jewellery wasn’t rationed but was probably hard to come by.
    Unfortunately, Gotland felts really easily for a fibre that waves rather than crimps. I have a favourite pair of slippers made from Gotland, hand-felted & embroidered in Dorset feather stitch, with soles cut from an old leather sofa. Won me a prize at the county craft show!

I'd echo the advice to block gently back to shape, and wash very carefully in future. Hope it works!

Noted. I thought it’d felt easily when I was knitting it up. This jumper is destined to be hand-wash only now.
    Ooh it looks great, Pip - although I see what you mean about the colour, still it looks very soft and natural.

I applaud you for getting on with those WIPs, I have a real mental block on restarting things that are unfinished. Silly really because a lot of the work has already been done, but I find it really hard to motivate myself to get them out of the bag, it's always more fun to start a new project.

I was 3/4 of the way through a gorgeous (and quite difficult) jumper for my friend's son, lost my knitting mojo and of course he is now too big for it (grrr). However she is now expecting another baby so I really must finish it, I think it only needs a neckbands and a bit of embroidery/making up. That's why this challenge is so good for me, if we were rationed you'd use up every scrap of wool before buying anything new!

I’m betting that you reached a point where you needed to concentrate and didn’t have the bandwidth. I know that feeling.
    Glad to hear that the jumper is at least wearable - I did feel for you when I read your earlier post!

I've just found out why my sleeves were wrong - I left a whole section of the increases out! Silly me. That's two sleeves that I will now have to redo.... Hey- ho, its a good job that the evenings are still long.

You need highlighter tape. I find it invaluable for marking my place on patterns - it’s stickier than a post-it but lifts off and re-adheres easily, without marking your pattern.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure