SCAM WARNING-City Council Court??!

Options
Hi everyone,
Im in Northern Ireland and was contacted by some people claiming to be from the Despatch team of City County Court of London with a cheque for me from a PPI claim. I have been making claims so it sounded possible.
The format was very similar to previous posters. I was first told that I would have to show paysafe vouchers to the courier and he would give me the cheque. The guy said the paysafe vouchers would be collected by another courier once I had confirmed that the cheque had cleared in my bank account. Again this sounded fair.
But at 4pm no courier arrived and at 4.30 I got another phone call from their validation department asking for the 16 digit codes so they could validate my paysafe vouchers. I refused telling him I wouldnt do that until I had received the cheque and it had cleared. After some to,ing and fro,ing he gave up. This was in early December.
They contacted me again yesterday. This time I asked for an address and phone number and said I would phone them back. He gave address 137 Finchley road, London
020 8133 4385 ask for Martin or Alec Cooper

This scam comes up on google as going on from 2012!
They are insistent that their method is government approved and that they cant use the vouchers by just having the PIN codes.
!!!!THIS IS A LIE!!!!

I'm now locked in an email procedure while trying to get a refund of these Paysafe vouchers.
I hope no-one else gets stuck in this situation

Comments

• boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have run a mile when they mentioned "PaySafe" to be honest.
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    The "advance fee" scam has been around longer than 2012. This is just a variation on it.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there even such a thing as " city county court".
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Why would it even seen rational in any circumstance to need to pay with vouchers for a company to give you a cheque supposedly of the money they are giving to you?

Legit institutions just don't operate this way, advance fee fraud all works this way.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teebird wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Im in Northern Ireland and was contacted by some people claiming to be from the Despatch team of City County Court of London with a cheque for me from a PPI claim. I have been making claims so it sounded possible.
    The format was very similar to previous posters. I was first told that I would have to show paysafe vouchers to the courier and he would give me the cheque. The guy said the paysafe vouchers would be collected by another courier once I had confirmed that the cheque had cleared in my bank account. Again this sounded fair.
    But at 4pm no courier arrived and at 4.30 I got another phone call from their validation department asking for the 16 digit codes so they could validate my paysafe vouchers. I refused telling him I wouldnt do that until I had received the cheque and it had cleared. After some to,ing and fro,ing he gave up. This was in early December.
    They contacted me again yesterday. This time I asked for an address and phone number and said I would phone them back. He gave address 137 Finchley road, London
    020 8133 4385 ask for Martin or Alec Cooper

This scam comes up on google as going on from 2012!
    They are insistent that their method is government approved and that they cant use the vouchers by just having the PIN codes.
    !!!!THIS IS A LIE!!!!

I'm now locked in an email procedure while trying to get a refund of these Paysafe vouchers.
    I hope no-one else gets stuck in this situation

The mind boggles!!!!

How on earth did you think anything about this was legit? A quick Google would of confirmed this as a scam.
    If you have got any PPI claims pending you really need to be more vigilant and find out who you think owes you money.
  • Poppie68
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Is there even such a thing as " city county court".

City council court and no.....
  • teebird
    teebird Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I am aware of the scams that ask for 'fees' first. I was NEVER going to fall for that.

The first guy had promised that the paysafe vouchers had ONLY to be SHOWED to the courier to prove I would pay the fee. He said they would then have no acess to that money until I confirmed that the cheque had cleared in my account. Even in my scam savvy way I thought that was safe enough.

It was only the second phone call that rang ALL the warning bells when I was asked for numbers from paysafe vouchers. They have GOT NOTHING FROM ME.

I have been a pain to them asking for loads of details-;
    why they couldnt just post the cheque? - I was told that Courts always ask for delivery this way. I'm no expert on Courts
    Could I just collect it? - I was given the address 137 Finchley road, London. That didnt ruffle them
    Could I have a think and phone them back? - I got the number 020 81334385 ask for Martin (the despatch organiser) or Alec Cooper (the Manager) I didnt phone them cos Im sure its bogus

All this time I have just tried to get as much info from them as possible to keep them on MY HOOK LOL
    I have passed all of this on to PSNI and ACTION FRAUD
    I posted here just to ALERT people that its happening right NOW

I know too many capitals in this post. Sorry
    Happiness is a smile a day and a bad memory.:)
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Poppie68
    Options
    teebird wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I am aware of the scams that ask for 'fees' first. I was NEVER going to fall for that.

The first guy had promised that the paysafe vouchers had ONLY to be SHOWED to the courier to prove I would pay the fee. He said they would then have no acess to that money until I confirmed that the cheque had cleared in my account. Even in my scam savvy way I thought that was safe enough.

It was only the second phone call that rang ALL the warning bells when I was asked for numbers from paysafe vouchers. They have GOT NOTHING FROM ME.

I have been a pain to them asking for loads of details-;
    why they couldnt just post the cheque? - I was told that Courts always ask for delivery this way. I'm no expert on Courts
    Could I just collect it? - I was given the address 137 Finchley road, London. That didnt ruffle them
    Could I have a think and phone them back? - I got the number 020 81334385 ask for Martin (the despatch organiser) or Alec Cooper (the Manager) I didnt phone them cos Im sure its bogus

All this time I have just tried to get as much info from them as possible to keep them on MY HOOK LOL
    I have passed all of this on to PSNI and ACTION FRAUD
    I posted here just to ALERT people that its happening right NOW

I know too many capitals in this post. Sorry

Courts don't dole out money though, the money would come from whoever had the judgement against them. That said why would the PPI claims be going through a (non existent) court anyway... Claims are dealt with in house, and you would never ever be asked to pay them so they then send you a payment back.
    If as you say you do have PPI claims outstanding please be more wary of who you are actually dealing with.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why would a fictitious 'city county' court be paying out your PPI claim? Such a claim, if successful, would be paid out either by the policy issuer, or, if you used a claims handler, by them sending you a cheque minus their commission.
    There's no involvement of any civil court whatsoever.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport