IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Hire company delay in handling PCN resulted in full charge.

Options
We parked where we shouldn't in Aberystwyth and received a PCN. Fair cop.

The problem is that the issuer (Parking Eye) sent it to the Hire Company (Europcar) who recevied on 5 June. However, it took Europcar over a week to forward it on so it was received by us via email on 13 June, the day after the deadline for paying the discounted amount.

Europcar have the audacity to charge an additional GBP 50 for their 'service'. Humpf!

The date of the offence was 25 May and the date of issue by Parking Eye was 29 May. We live in Switzerland and the car hire was issued against a Swiss credit card. Not sure that matters but it's a bit more background.

My question then is what can we do about Europcar's slouth-like processing which has cost us an additional GBP 35?

They have no incentive to turn these PCN's around. it's very unfair (said with a six year old's whiney voice).

I've looked for a similar question. Apologies if I missed it.

Comments

• nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    1) not a fine. The word "fine" does not appear on ANY document you have received from PE
    2) Not an offence
    3) Check the Europcar T&C. Do they state they can charge you for PRIVATE INVOICES or only "penalty" or "fines"? The parking eye charge notice is MERELY a *private invoice*. Check your signed t and c. DO NOT guess.
    4) You appeal to parking eye and point out the driver is in Switzerland. Eff Off. Give full name and address for the driver. State the driver is outside the jurisdiction of the E&W courts and so no chance of any chare being payable, so eff off.
    or ignore PE. Youre not liable.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,248 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TD, do you really think a Swiss MP is going to do anything about this?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Fruitcake
    edited 14 June 2019 at 11:14AM
    Options
    Cider Woman, you could send the appeal template written by edna basher from post 1 of the NEWBIES that deals with hire/lease cars. There are three but one of them is for fleet managers so that's not the one you need.
    There are very specific hoops that a PPC as to jump through where a hire/lease car is concerned, and it is very rare for them to get it right.

You should give the driver and or the hirer's name and address for service in Switzerland as already advised.

You should also tell your credit car company that the charge from Eurocrap is fraudulent and tell them not to pay it, or to put a charge-back on it if they have already done so.

Also as advised, very carefully read the hire agreement that you signed and the online version which s sometimes different. ick the one that suits you best, but point out that an invoice from an unregulated parking company is outwith the Ts and Cs of the hire agreement that only covers fines, penalties, and charges from an authority.
    Also tell them they have breached the memorandum of understanding between themselves and their trade association, the BVRLA as well as their agreement with the BPA, and state you have put the charge in dispute with the credit card provider.
    Point out that you have given the driver's details to the parking scammers and therefore they have no involvement and are not liable as set out in the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.
    Instruct them that since the PPC knows the identity and address for service of the hirer and driver, Eurocrap are not liable and must not pay the parking charge.

Also tell them that any reputable hire company would know all this.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The big problem you have is that Parking Eye may well chase Europcar for the money.

Write to Parking Eye telling them you were the keeper at the time of the event. Give them your full postal details. Then laugh as they realise they are absolutely stuffed in terms of getting any money from you.
  • Fruitcake
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Why do you ask? Does the OP live in Switzerland?

According to their initial post, yes they do. Did you not read it before you posted?
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have this very same situation, in Scotland, however driver of the car is also in Scotland. Charge is for overstaying in a supermarket car park by about 6 minutes but it's taken a whole 6 weeks for car hire company to forward on the invoice.

Assume the process would be to request T&Cs that were signed for car hire (they weren't kept) along with also contacting the supermarket and showing them the loyalty of the driver (no receipt for that date but plenty of other bank charges for the place).

Car hire place also trying to charge £30 for handling it.
  • Fruitcake
    edited 14 June 2019 at 12:27PM
    Options
    lvm wrote: »
    I have this very same situation, in Scotland, however driver of the car is also in Scotland. Charge is for overstaying in a supermarket car park by about 6 minutes but it's taken a whole 6 weeks for car hire company to forward on the invoice.

Assume the process would be to request T&Cs that were signed for car hire (they weren't kept) along with also contacting the supermarket and showing them the loyalty of the driver (no receipt for that date but plenty of other bank charges for the place).

Car hire place also trying to charge £30 for handling it.

The driver does not get involved, only the keeper/hirer/lessee on the date of event. The driver's identity must NEVER be revealed, especially in Scotland where the laws are different.

You need your own thread to get the best help once you have read the NEWBIES.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Edna Basher already wrote a bespoke appeal for Scottish hirers. Search and ye shall find.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Cider_Woman
    Options
    Hi there, I wanted to give you a quick update and to thank you again for your help.

We choose the line of least effort and ignored all the PCN letters (about 5 in total). They were not overly threatening and were identical after the second one. I expected them to start coming via recorded delivery but that never happened. They stopped about 2 months ago so hopefully that's the end of the matter.

However, we paid the charge from Europcar. I wanted to check it was valid and due but the Brown Bottle Man wasn't up for the fight.

Finally, we also checked whether a Swiss-based person incurring a parking fine in Germany would also be required to pay it and the answer is no - same as the UK.

Thanks again and best wishes for 2020.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport