Iva & ppi

Options
Hi everyone im just looking for some advice please.

My other half had an IVA about 12 years ago or so he paid it for a year or 2 maybe then he moved over to live in germany with his family in the army.

He stopped paying it as he thought he would be out there forever, he moved back to the UK about 9 years ago and hasn't paid a penny back since and has had no correspondance from them either as they dont know his address.

One of his friends recently got paid out a few thousand pounds from PPI even though he never actually paid back his credit cards... i have no idea how?

But now my other half is thinking about putting a claim in as well... my question is if he does will the IVA people find him and make him pay it back? or if he is successfull will the money go to the IVA people or him directly as it has been so long since he stopped paying.

Sorry for the long post but im a little worried as this was all before i met him and now we have a baby so dont want to open a can of worms with this

Many thanks if anyone could advise please!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The lender should check and send it directly to the IP, or offset it against the unpaid debts.

I don't know what sort of action would be taken against him when the IP finds out he's tried to grab the money for himself, but it's probably not a risk worth taking for no likely gain.
  • Oliver2809006
    Options
    Would go towards the IVA.

Best to keep quiet all round.
  • 06cathy06
    Options
    Ok thank you both i shall show him this and hopefully he will decide against it!
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He would of probably been partitioned for bankruptcy and now off his record. No point in chasing PPI now as it would go to the O.R.

Also on a moral point - don't chase it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport