Car insurance - change of address charge??? extortionate

Options
edy500
edy500 Posts: 20 Forumite
Hello ,
Right well I'm a bit shocked here if I'm honest...
I've just received a receipt email from my car insurance company for £100... for changing my address.
Firstly I wasn't aware of the charge as nothing was mentioned during the phone call I had with my insurance company telling them id moved...
However after the phone call I admit I did receive a 'new insurance certificate' email.. which i just presumed was all ok so I didnt open the email at the time...

So from my perspective obviously not been told over the phone was a bit frustrating.. and obviously had i been told.. maybe i could have looked into things a bit more.
So for that reason alone I dont feel particularly happy and feel a bit like they have backed me in a corner as if id known and refused the payment.. i would have to end the policy and go elsewhere...which would incure a charge id expect and it sounds this can be a very loose figure in itself..

So just for info this current car policy has only 6 months left to run.

So needless to say I have called the insurance company this morning asking why I wasnt informed on the phone there would be £100 charge for change of address...

The insurance company havent really listened to what im saying and have said there is nothing they will do for me.. and its my fault for not looking at the email.

some more info ... So basically my car at the previous address was listed as being parked on a driveway and at my new address ive now explained things further as they had it down as just 'parked in a car park' which is wrong really as my new address is an old house consisting of 6 flats with its own drive and a private car park at the rear with a few parking spaces.. and actually mine being the only car parked there at this time and also the car park and building has security camera's so in reality my car is actually more secure and safe than it was at the last address!!

I guess you can feel my frustration about this.. and sorry to vent, thank you for reading this far.

So i feel aggrieved and Im now trying to look into what or if theres anything I can do about this now..
Ive made the choice that in the future due to what i perceive as a lack of information when it should be made clear to a customer. I simply wont be using this insurance company again.

So my thoughts so far is to try and end the the policy and take a new one out somewhere else... i guess they will charge again though... and obviously id have to pay a new policy cost
But Im also just wondering if there would be a 14 day cooling off period for this payment?

In reality im sort of thinking there is nothing I can do apart from vouch to not use this insurance company again.. and it seems now clear we are doomed and have no control of charges during our policy life!
I have over 10 years no claims, and have used this company many times over the years as well.

So Im sort of hoping that there maybe others in a similar situation that could advice as its seems totally extortionate to me.. and having not been told over the phone there would be this charge seems very unprofessional to me.. there answer to that is well it said about the charge in the initial email.. which is headed 'new certificate'...and we sent a letter... which i havent received!

Ok I know some will think.. well i should have asked or i should have opened that initial email.. but as I wasnt told there would be a charge I didnt expect one and didnt feel it a priority to open the email at the time..
And hey even if I did would I be any better situation?

Thank you for reading and again sorry to sound venting, I will be interested to read more and hear a bit more about this if anyone has similar issues.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the £100 for increased premiums rather than a 'charge' because the insurers deem your new address to be more of a risk? (ie not just the car park bit, but the actual address)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is it £100 charge, or is it £100 increased premium plus charge?

What do the Ts & Cs (which you received when you originally took the policy out) say about charges for change of address etc?

You ask about a cooling-off period - yet you need to change the address if you've moved, unless you're thinking of not moving, simply to save this charge. If you previously agreed to that charge (by taking the policy out and not cancelling it within the original 14 day cooling-off), then you cannot really complain about it, and you need to pay it, whether it was explained to you or not.

If the charge is not in line with the Ts & Cs, then point their error out to them.
  • IvanS
    IvanS Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I once faced exactly the same scenario.

Whilst there are occasions where a change of address does significantly affect risk, very often this scenario does not apply in which case it is simply the insurer levying a charge (usually reserved somewhere in the policy's small print) which is extortionate.

As a retired solicitor I can advise with some confidence that there are several potential ways of POSSIBLY avoiding the charge. Much depends on how much policy detail was presented to the insured before the insurance contract was entered into. But it would be wrong to specifically advise without first examining ALL of the facts as each case varies. I no longer personally take on cases.

There are normally two potential practical ways forward:

The first is to forget about legal technicalities and simply quietly and politely 'scream' blue murder at one of the insurance company's staff. They usually have considerable discretion over this type of levy. Ask him / her if they really wish to lose your custom?

Next, consider cancelling the policy if by doing so the insurer will make a pro rata premium refund which loses you less than £100.

Good luck!
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have just renewed my insurance, knowing in 3 months or so I'll be moving to a new address. Admin charges and refunds were some of the key considerations when deciding which policy to buy. Many (most?) insurers will NOT refund pro rata; the exact terms are not always made clear - I once spent about 15 minutes on the phone with a call centre lady on this point!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    IvanS wrote: »
    I once faced exactly the same scenario.

Whilst there are occasions where a change of address does significantly affect risk, very often this scenario does not apply in which case it is simply the insurer levying a charge (usually reserved somewhere in the policy's small print) which is extortionate.

As a retired solicitor I can advise with some confidence that there are several potential ways of POSSIBLY avoiding the charge. Much depends on how much policy detail was presented to the insured before the insurance contract was entered into. But it would be wrong to specifically advise without first examining ALL of the facts as each case varies. I no longer personally take on cases.

There are normally two potential practical ways forward:

The first is to forget about legal technicalities and simply quietly and politely 'scream' blue murder at one of the insurance company's staff. They usually have considerable discretion over this type of levy. Ask him / her if they really wish to lose your custom?

Next, consider cancelling the policy if by doing so the insurer will make a pro rata premium refund which loses you less than £100.

Good luck!

How do you politely and quietly scream blue murder? Be rude in a whisper? I doubt there will be very much in the way of discretion if this is an increased premium due to a higher calculated risk area that the OP has moved to.

At the end of the day, it is up to every customer to read the Ts and Cs, and you kind of lose the right to complain if you don't bother to check them at the time of change.
  • edy500
    Options
    At the end of the day, in a perfect world we should all have read the Ts and Cs...
    But hey maybe I was busy.. maybe ive been ill.. maybe the reason I didnt was I couldnt be bothered to check every single companies I got quotes froms Ts and Cs before I took out a policy..
    Haha I will now though of course..

But really if im honest for me its not really about all this.. although it doesn come down to the fact I didnt of course.

For me... maybe being customer focused these companies so quick to take our money should actually make things clear over the phone as well....is it too much to ask?

All I know now is... whether I can or cant do anything about this charge.. which looks like I cant for the sake of the extortionate price and the fact ive been pretty loyal over the years to this compnay.. I will be taking my insurance elsewhere..

Ive have had this current car since 2004.. ive got maximum NCB..
    ive insured many times with this company over the ownership of this vehicle... the value of which isnt very high and to not be told over the phone ..oh sir.. thank you for your loyalty etc etc..but i must inform you there will be a £100 charge to pay for this change of address??

And for me.. I know what your saying isnt a personal statement but I will always have the right to complain if I feel something isnt quite right... even if im told there is small print somewhere explaining.
    As maybe if enough people do the same it maybe looked into and also.. by even writing this post.. maybe it will help someone about to take out an insurance policy that they need to look at this...

So its all worthwhile really.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    edy500 wrote: »
    At the end of the day, in a perfect world we should all have read the Ts and Cs...
    But hey maybe I was busy.. maybe ive been ill.. maybe the reason I didnt was I couldnt be bothered to check every single companies I got quotes froms Ts and Cs before I took out a policy..
    Haha I will now though of course..

But really if im honest for me its not really about all this.. although it doesn come down to the fact I didnt of course.

For me... maybe being customer focused these companies so quick to take our money should actually make things clear over the phone as well....is it too much to ask?

All I know now is... whether I can or cant do anything about this charge.. which looks like I cant for the sake of the extortionate price and the fact ive been pretty loyal over the years to this compnay.. I will be taking my insurance elsewhere..

Ive have had this current car since 2004.. ive got maximum NCB..
    ive insured many times with this company over the ownership of this vehicle... the value of which isnt very high and to not be told over the phone ..oh sir.. thank you for your loyalty etc etc..but i must inform you there will be a £100 charge to pay for this change of address??

And for me.. I know what your saying isnt a personal statement but I will always have the right to complain if I feel something isnt quite right... even if im told there is small print somewhere explaining.
    As maybe if enough people do the same it maybe looked into and also.. by even writing this post.. maybe it will help someone about to take out an insurance policy that they need to look at this...

So its all worthwhile really.

Are you sure it was a charge and not an increase in premiums? This is important as if it is an excessive service charge, you possibly have grounds for complaint. If it is an increase in premiums, then it's far more complex.
  • edy500
    Options
    It was a mixture of both the admin charge and the premium...
    but listen..
    im generally paying around £350 for car insurance per year... so to hike that up not matter if its premium or anyother charge by £100... when I have under 6 months left of the policy is extortionate.. its basically a charge overall for where im registered for overnight parking of my car...
    as well all know during the day I could travel anywhere in the country and generally park anywhere overnight on occassion...

But I have to say I have just received a call from the insurance company im talking about and they have knocked off the admin charge and refunded part of the premium charge.. so its now cost me £50!
    Still a hike, and im ive not moved to the 'worst part of Britain' but at least they have shown some loyalty and customer focus.
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    What do you want us to say? Life ain't fair. Welcome to the world. In some cases your perception of risk may differ from that of an insurer. In other cases even insurers don't know why their black-box algorithms spit out prices which vary +-30% from one week to the next (it's happened to me), or which price two identical cars (same make model engine etc) differently just because one has a 15 plate and the other a 65 plate (happened to me, too).

Insurance prices don't always make sense. Assume nothing. Play with all the variables (without lying, of course).
  • edy500
    Options
    I was just trying to gauge an idea of others experience with this and what if anything could be done to help me.

And yes what you say is true ..very true..

But for me knowing this doesnt mean I have to sit back if im not happy!
    I will try and find out information to help me.

And simply because would we eat uncooked chicken because a cook told us that thats just the way it is.. we always have the right to complain and should do so if we feel the need.

Generally im very easy going and let things go... but for me as a loyal paying customer if im not happy with a service provided then of course 100% ill let them know even if it gets me nowhere as at least i have voiced it and explained why i'm not happy.

But as I say, They have eventually listened after I completed a survey about the call this morning so I cant really say anymore.

Just to say thank you for the input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport