Thermal insulated plasterboard walls in your home?

Options
If you do, I would love to know if you have managed to hang mirrors, curtains etc on it and how you did it! We’ve just had thermal insulated plasterboard installed on solid external walls in our bathroom. The plasterboard itself is only 7 mm thick and the insulation foam backing is 30 mm thick. The boards were installed using dot and dab method.

To this wall I want to fix a mirror (about 70 x 50 cm in size). If this goes well I may attempt to fix a batten for a curtain track. I have not found any fixings designed for foam-backed plasterboard.

I have contacted Plasplugs who as we all know have a huge range of fixings products but not even they could recommend any of their products to me. A DIY expert on the BBC Radio 5 Live suggested looking at GripIt fixings but GripIt have told me their fixings are not suitable either.

It would be great to hear from those of you who have experience of this issue.

Comments

• glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    120mm screws into plugs direct into the brickwork behind?
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:00AM
    Options
    If you do, I would love to know if you have managed to hang mirrors, curtains etc on it and how you did it! We!!!8217;ve just had thermal insulated plasterboard installed on solid external walls in our bathroom. The plasterboard itself is only 7 mm thick and the insulation foam backing is 30 mm thick. The boards were installed using dot and dab method.
    I have not found any fixings designed for foam-backed plasterboard.
    It would be great to hear from those of you who have experience of this issue.

We insulated our North facing bathroom walls several years ago. My hubby used plasterboard screws to put a curtain rail up with no problems.

He also put a shelf on one of the walls too using the same type plasterboard screws.

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cinquestelle
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    120mm screws into plugs direct into the brickwork behind?

Thank you for your response. Appreciated. I have thought about that but it seems awfully heavy duty for a 5 kg mirror. But the bigger problem is that so many bathroom mirrors I have seen and which, to be fair, I rather like, hang from size 8 L-type hook screws. Ideally, I would like a fixing that will accommodate these screws.
  • Cinquestelle
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    We insulated our North facing bathroom walls several years ago. My hubby used plasterboard screws to put a curtain rail up with no problems.

He also put a shelf on one of the walls too using the same type plasterboard screws.

HTH

Edwink

Really? No fixing whatsoever, just screws? That is extraordinary. Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciated. The only question is, what plasterboard screws where they and is your plaster layer as thin as ours?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2018 at 10:44AM
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Appreciated. I have thought about that but it seems awfully heavy duty for a 5 kg mirror. But the bigger problem is that so many bathroom mirrors I have seen and which, to be fair, I rather like, hang from size 8 L-type hook screws. Ideally, I would like a fixing that will accommodate these screws.
    I've hung a large and heavy venetian blind and a few wet tents from cup hooks screwed directly into a plasterboard ceiling and was surprised they stayed there. Previously had a batten for curtains directly into plasterboard using modern woodscrews (narrow shank, deep thread). Use as many screws as possible and be careful not to damage the plasterboard by overtightening.

I've used cut to length wallplugs with long screws for heavier items. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-12-Long-PVC-Wall-Plug-CUT-TO-LENGTH-Rawl-Screw-Expanding-Blue-Red-Green/191658265315?hash=item2c9fb90ae3:m:m96zexVGfaNQPMZ8eWEC-4A

or try hammer fixings. https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/hammer-fixings/cat840070
  • Cinquestelle
    Options
    I've hung a large and heavy venetian blind and a few wet tents from cup hooks screwed directly into a plasterboard ceiling and was surprised they stayed there. Previously had a batten for curtains directly into plasterboard using modern woodscrews (narrow shank, deep thread). Use as many screws as possible and be careful not to damage the plasterboard by overtightening.

I've used cut to length wallplugs with long screws for heavier items. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-12-Long-PVC-Wall-Plug-CUT-TO-LENGTH-Rawl-Screw-Expanding-Blue-Red-Green/191658265315?hash=item2c9fb90ae3:m:m96zexVGfaNQPMZ8eWEC-4A

or try hammer fixings. https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/hammer-fixings/cat840070

Many thanks for the response. This is very encouraging! Appreciated.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 11 February 2018 at 6:20PM
    Options
    Really? No fixing whatsoever, just screws? That is extraordinary. Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciated. The only question is, what plasterboard screws where they and is your plaster layer as thin as ours?

No not just the screws! The plasterboard fixing screw is screwed in to the wall. Then you screw a metal screw in to the hole in the plasterboard fixing screw.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-32mm-100-pack/2422H?tc=AL2&ds_kid=92700023382266040&ds_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxryln6-e2QIVihDTCh3iPQ9ZEAQYAiABEgKp2_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CObCjqOvntkCFVGF7QodraUO2A

HTH

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • andyhop
    andyhop Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your all wrong as your putting strain in the 9mm plasterboard. It will pull straight through

Google rigifix fixings, probably the best fixings for dot and dab as the load is placed directly in the brick work
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    andyhop wrote: »

Google rigifix fixings, probably the best fixings for dot and dab as the load is placed directly in the brick work
    "holds 100kg per fixing" Necessary for a 5kg mirror?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    "holds 100kg per fixing" Necessary for a 5kg mirror?
    No, but very reassuring for an £800 telly!

I would go for the hammer fixings you posted earlier.

I've used the Easyfix on our stud walls for lighter items, but these are 2x12mm plasterboard, not single 9mm or thinner like the OP's.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure