Working Tax Credit owed

Options
Wondering if anyone can help me?

Resigned from work in December 2017 due to ill health etc.

Contacted tax credits as I'm now claiming esa.

Tax credits say I'm owed £2700 odd in working Tax credits as I only earnt £7k odd before leaving work, but as they don't know my actual earnings for 2017/2018 they were keeping hold of this payment until they know.

This is fine (although a little bit of a financial struggle) but when should I likely receive this money?

I thought tax year ended 5th April?

Any help is much appreciated thank-you.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When you get either a brown or white envelope and send it back is when you get it, as this is the four month window when you declare your income and they change it accordingly. You get this anywhere between April 5th and the end of June. Therefore the fact the tax year ends on April 5th is irrelevant with regards to Working Tax Credit as the window closes July 31st.
  • sedlanigan
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    When you get either a brown or white envelope and send it back is when you get it, as this is the four month window when you declare your income and they change it accordingly. You get this anywhere between April 5th and the end of June. Therefore the fact the tax year ends on April 5th is irrelevant with regards to Working Tax Credit as the window closes July 31st.

How do I declare my income, do the inland revenue send me a p60? Because I wouldn't have a clue how much I've earnt.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sedlanigan wrote: »
    How do I declare my income, do the inland revenue send me a p60? Because I wouldn't have a clue how much I've earnt.

hmrc will have told tax credits what you have earned

all the tax offices talk to each other now not like years ago when you coud tell vat man one figure tax man another and benefits another and no one would know what each one was given
  • sedlanigan
    Options
    So when I call to renew what do I say exactly?

"I don't know how much I've earnt myself but go with what inland revenue have said?"

Sorry if I sound thick here but I really am worried I won't see this money and it's going to cause slot of stress and anxiety which I don't need...
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When you left work in December you will have been issued a form P45 - your earnings from that employment will be shown on the form.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Is your esa income related or contributions related?
  • sedlanigan
    Options
    Contribution Base to begin with but that's ran out now I believe?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    You'll need to declare your employment income as per your P45 and the amount of ESA contributions related received in 2017/18.

Once you have done this and your renewal is processed, any underpayment will be issued.

Renewals will have started to be issued this month, they are normally all issued by June and you can do it over the phone, online or by post.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sedlanigan wrote: »
    Contribution Base to begin with but that's ran out now I believe?

If you are on contribution based ESA then this will last a year if you are placed in the WRAG or indefinitely if placed in the Support Group.

However you may have an income based 'top up'.

Check your award letter.
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,403 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you are or have been on Contribution ESA in the tax year you will receive a P60u from DWP, add this amount to the amount of earnings on your P45 and this is what you need to declare as your total earnings on your renewal form.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport