PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant has damaged sink and asking it to be fixed at Landlord cost

Options
Hi I have given my house on rent and the tenants living there have damaged the sink and they are blaming this on the cupboard above being faulty and that due to this the contents on the shelf have fallen and damage the sink. They are expecting me to fix the sink and my cost. Could you please advice, I have had the property inspected before they moved in and I know there was no fault with the cupboard, what can be done as I do not want to pay for this.

It seems like they have damaged this and now lying about the cupboard being fault to make me pay for it. Please help its the first time I have rented out my house and its just becoming a real headache with these tenants. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the deposit protected?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I am sorry but you haven't given your house on rent. You are renting it for a fee. Its a business.

I'm afraid it might be that you will have to visit the house, if you can and inspect the damage. It is possible that a cupboard can come away from the wall without the tenants being at fault (could be a problem with the wall, with the screws, the fixings).

The only way to find out is to go and look, and discuss with the tenants. I can't really see tenants swinging from a cupboard above a sink, but who knows, I guess anything is possible. I certainly am suffering myself from a fally apart kitchen cause its old (you open a draw and the drawer fascia falls away from the drawer and I am not heavy handed. I've only got one that is still attached out of five now). It does happen, but there can be tenant damage too. You'll have to go there and find out which it is.

How old is the kitchen, who fitted it? How sound is the wall? I'm afraid inspections don't normally do more than check the surface of things, they won't test a cupboard to see how sound it is unless it was hanging off the wall at the time of inspection. And not always then lol.

You might have to just put it down to costs of renting. I know that's not pleasant but there should be some budget for repairs.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I once had a cupboard (double) fall from the wall.

When it was repaired it transpired that a single nail was holding it in place.

I agree OP you need to inspect and see what the situation is.
  • charithacq
    Options
    yes it is protected.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    your a landlord, you did have landlord insurance? If you don't pay, don't expect to have good tenants, it's business and treat as such, things break.

if you pee off the tenants too much your going to have more trouble than it's worth, void periods, non payment of rent, eviction e.t.c
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • charithacq
    Options
    The cabinet didnt fall off. Its actually one of those glass cabinets you see at B&Q. It has a divider shelf which is held by four plastic plugs. The unit was all in order when the house was handed, whats caused the shelf to fall is one of the plastic plugs has come off while the cabinet has been used so this has cause the shelf to wobble, hence the contents falling, which has damaged the wash basin. So this is on the tenants using the house in my opinion.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The "fault in the cupboard" is that its right above the sink, and since items do occasionally fall from cupboards, especially if a loose fitting shelf comes adrift, that wasn't a wise choice of location and its down to the LL.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2018 at 5:01PM
    Options
    You can't blame the tenants for the shelf support coming loose. They do do this. Its wear and tear. I use metal shelf supports myself (you can get them fairly easily). Plastic ones do break/come loose etc. I always replace them, but that's my choice. Its not something tenants have to do.., you could have though. I do it because its less hassle, the metal supports last longer.

Sorry, I think you are going to have to cover the repair. Its fair wear and tear. They didn't do anything to break the support or cause the shelf to wobble and drop its contents on the sink. Unless you can prove otherwise. It was actually probably quite a shock for them, particularly with a glass shelf above a sink. Could have caused a nasty injury. Be glad this didn't happen.

You aren't going to like this, but its one of the costs of renting out a property. Its sounds to me as if you aren't really running it as a business.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Except you'll never know. It could be that they put too much weight on it, or stack things in such a way that the plastic plug got worn, or banged it accidentally... or it was a fault with it or how it was set up.

Without knowing, how can you accuse them?
  • shirlgirl2004
    shirlgirl2004 Posts: 2,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Some might say the tenant had a duty to let you know if the shelf support had broken; after all I'm sure they wouldn't want you popping around on a regular basis to check every cupboard. I assume this is a bathroom cabinet which would by convention be over the basin so I'm not sure why people are suggesting it shouldn't be there. To be honest having said all that I'd just get it fixed and suggest the tenants keep an eye on the shelf supports in future. That is assuming that in all other respects these are good tenants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure