Attendance allowance - where do i start please?

Options
2»

Comments

• Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone

I did try to arrange for a benefits volunteer to visit her and do the necessary forms. But she refused.

My aunt is of the mentality that puts a brave face and positive spin on everything. She still states categorically she can do everything just fine despite Mum spending a week with her and seeing just how hard things have got. This is why I've been asked to help - twisted logic but i'm poorly, have carers/pa's and need help so she doesn't have to be brave around me.

There is a box full of medical letters, prescriptions and test results we need to work through to find evidence.

I'll go and look at ageuk now
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The problem is that a lot of things can be very difficult/impossible but don't count as they do for younger applicants with PIP and DLA.

A garden is a luxury, but being unable to clean ,do washing or cook, all not considered, can cause a lot of distress. You could end up with dirty clothing and linen, a dirty unhygienic home (making you afraid to have visitors) and poor diet,because, although you can eat and know when to eat, you can't safely make a meal involving pans ( even a milk pan is heavy when filled with water), reaching up or bending down, cutting or stirring, so live on ready meals (often with too much salt or sugar and tasting awful) or sandwiches (assuming the filling doesn't need slicing).
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I did my late husband's claim for AA, largely on the grounds of emphsema/COPD (although he had arthritis as well) and I found it quite straightforward. Is your aunt on oxyhen?
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your heading is "Attendance Allowance - where do I start please?", and my answer is - with plenty of time, a lot of patience, and a drink of your choice!

The main thing is that a lot of the questions require answers that seem similar to what you've already said, in answer to another question, and people sometimes fail to complete the form.

Make sure, however much you're repeating yourself, that you give as much information as you possibly can, with supporting documentation if you have it, eg copies of letters from consultants etc, and list everything, no matter how trivial it might seem.

Good Luck!
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tabbytabitha - she hasn't reached the oxygen stage but is struggling with breathing, pain etc and spends a few days a week in bed. She also has some other health bits..I have yet to find the details out.

Sandra - i suspect you may be right..
    Your heading is "Attendance Allowance - where do I start please?", and my answer is - with plenty of time, a lot of patience, and a drink of your choice!

I am going to type answers so i can repeat and refer to medical letters, prescriptions etc.
    I am making a start on friday.. so will put the kettle on.. teatotal here but i think a big pot or twelve will be needed.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    I did it for my aunt, she has dementia, I found it quite straightforward and then went into Age UK and they looked over it, pointed out one thing I needed to change and heard from them very quickly. It isn't as daunting as it looks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure