PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord charging to remove one item

Options
I recently moved out of a property and before doing so, i asked that a person come round and do a check list, so i knew exactly what i could leave and what i had to remove before moving out. It was agreed with their surveyor that, as they were going to sell the property, they would appreciate it if i could leave any items of furniture in good condition as this would benefit them. I have just received a bill for £88inc VAT as the landlord had to 'remove' a pop up clothes rail. This item was dismantled by myself and wrapped in a bag along with all necessary parts (about 4 attachments) in order to erect it. It was in excellent condition and had no parts missing.
Myself and the landlord both have a copy of the surveyors report stating this, which was also signed but they are refusing to remove the £60 charge. They also stated that the price to remove this single item is agreed beforehand and is standard, despite it not stating in my original tenancy agreement.
Is this something i should fight further? Not only is the charge massively excessive to remove a single item that was already bagged and wrapped, but i was specifically asked to leave behind any bits of furniture that could be used.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stutoz wrote: »
    I recently moved out of a property and before doing so, i asked that a person come round and do a check list, so i knew exactly what i could leave and what i had to remove before moving out. - that's nice of them,
    they didn't have to.
    It was agreed with their surveyor that, as they were going to sell the property, they would appreciate it if i could leave any items of furniture in good condition as this would benefit them. - do you have this in writing listing which items should be left? The default is you have to remove anything that wasn't provided at the start of the tenancy. Also is there anything to say the surveyor's opinion doesn't represent the LL's? I have just received a bill for £88inc VAT as the landlord had to 'remove' a pop up clothes rail. - how big is it - fit in a standard car / van etc? If you don't have proof of an agreement to leave it then it's reasonable to charge a fair amount for 1hr time + van hire +
    petrol.
    This item was dismantled by myself and wrapped in a bag along with all necessary parts (about 4 attachments) in order to erect it. It was in excellent condition and had no parts missing.
    Myself and the landlord both have a copy of the surveyors report stating this, which was also signed but they are refusing to remove the £60 charge. - thought it was £88?
    They also stated that the price to remove this single item is agreed beforehand and is standard, despite it not stating in my original tenancy agreement.- ask them for a copy of where this was agreed.
    Is this something i should fight further? Not only is the charge massively excessive to remove a single item that was already bagged and wrapped, but i was specifically asked to leave behind any bits of furniture that could be used.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

1. Ask them for proof of where the amount was agreed or a breakdown for the cost if it reflects the expense of removal.
    2. Check if the deposit was protected.
    3. If yes, then file a single claim from the scheme citing the report stating you should leave furniture.
    4. If not protected, write a letter to the LL demanding the full deposit in settlement, stating you will claim the non protection 1-3x penalty if they don't comply in 7 days.
  • stutoz
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the quick response.
    I do have it in writing though it does not list individual items, it does state items of furniture. The item in question is small and would fit even the smallest of standard cars. the price was £60 - £88 including VAT. After i questioned this it has now been amended to £69.96 inc VAT.
    The deposit is in a DPS scheme so i will make a claim online and take it from there.
    Whilst they did not have to send the surveyor out to site, I requested it specifically to try and avoid a situation like this.
    Thanks again for your response.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe the landlord doesn't consider a pop up clothes rail to be an item of furniture and I have to say that I agree with him/her. It certainly isn't something that would enhance a property for viewing, which I assume is the reason for wanting some decent furniture around the house.

The removal fee seems high though.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    Maybe the landlord doesn't consider a pop up clothes rail to be an item of furniture and I have to say that I agree with him/her. It certainly isn't something that would enhance a property for viewing, which I assume is the reason for wanting some decent furniture around the house.

The removal fee seems high though.

Agree, the default position is OP must remove everything so it's upto them to prove an alternative agreement. The 'surveyor's statement to leave furniture may not cut it to definitely cover a pop up rail, hence why I'd provide both evidence / arguments to the deposit scheme
    1) surveyor's comments
    2) real cost of removal
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £88 is not £60 + VAT unless there is a special rate that I don't know about of 47% for pop-up clothes rails. One of those figures must be incorrect.
  • pinklady21
    Options
    Neither is the amended amount of £69.96 the same as £60 plus VAT. Someone has trouble with their arithmetick!
  • chappers
    chappers Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Options
    Bloody pendants I think the OP explained the charges in post #3.
    who cares whether it's £60 or £88 that isn't the issue.
    I am inclined to agree with the OP though, the LL agreed to some furniture being left to, I presume help market the property. to be quibbling over a clothes rail is a bit petty.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    Options
    Ridiculous to charge that amount. I'm confused by the mention of you leaving furniture in good condition though, whose furniture? Surely not you, or is it a case that it suited you to leave your old furniture behind? Even if that is the case, you did them a favour that benefited them, so they would have some cheek to charge you for one extra item left that could easily be disposed of.
  • stutoz
    Options
    Hi, yes it was all my furniture which i had paid for, including some expensive items. I left them as i no longer needed them but was happy to dispose/sell, yet when they said they would like them, I was happy to oblige. The LL has responded saying they cannot 'gift' a clothes rail yet they are more than happy to accept Venetian blinds, a glass shower screen and various other small items. I fail to see the difference and like some of you have pointed out, the fee seems overly excessive to remove a single, small pop-up clothes rail.
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    Am I right in assuming that venetian blinds and shower screen would have been fittings, rather than furniture? Did you fit them? You would have to make good if you removed them?

It would seem that not having to remove them and repair the damage would have suited you too.

My daughter left some items in her previous let - table and chairs and a wardrobe in excellant condition. The property only had a garden table and chairs (in the house) when she moved in and no wardrobe. This was only done with the agreement of the landlord to each item and suited both of them. Did you get precise agreement as to what was being left? In my opinion pop up clothes rails are more in the category of "stuff" than furniture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure