Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

Options

Comments

• mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    i love penny
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    I want cash cow :T
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    cash cow i like even. cant see penguin one
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mumzyof2 wrote: »
    cash cow i like even. cant see penguin one

Poor penny got left behind when I forgot to add her :D
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • spud30
    spud30 Posts: 16,872 Forumite
    Options
    Ohhh I love them all.

I'm going to try to make on without a balloon. Any tips :confused:
    Is it better to aim for the stars and hit a tree or aim for a tree and land in its branches :think:
    Loves being a Wonderbra friend :kisses3:
  • whitetigeress333
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I'll bore you all to tears soon with my daft passtimes but kids seem to like them. This one is an adult supervised one for making hanging mobiles.

I save the metal tubes from tomato puree! Don't buy the plastic coated ones as they don't work for this :D

If you carefully cut off the top and the sealed edge at the bottom then cut the long edge you can open these out and they look like copper or brass inside. Use a blunt pencil and draw your shape on the printed side with enough pressure that the pattern goes right through and is embossed on the gold side. I made half a dozen seahorses last time. Once you have the shapes you can cut them out and emboss the details into them from the reverse/printed side and once completed, suspend them with thread from something like an old shower curtain ring or similar. Even make a loop (a slice from an old washing up liquid bottle has been used before, too). You can paint over the print before hanging them and they look quite nice. Use same method for making card embellishments etc.:D

Love this idea
    Will save buying anymore metal.....lol
    soooo glad i found this site
    Im a craft-a-holic....lol
    A tip for you all
    all the clear packaging that came surrounding pressies, the clear windows so you can see whats in the box. Cut up the nice bits and keep for doing snow cards, cheaper than buying it and you are doing your bit for recycling too
    Salt or sugar makes good snow
    My Goals
    To be debt free by end of year
    To lose 1 stone by easter
    Will post debts as soon as i discover the full impact 0uch!!
    To earn £500 taking in sewing= Earned £6 today=Total £6
    2008 Olympic Challenge Siver - starts 08/01/08
    Live on £3920 in 2008 #002
    Sealed Pot Challenge #156
    The DFW "Celebrate Christmas for free in 2008" Challenge
    Grocery Challenge - January £180 Budget - £0 Spent
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oooh this is a great thread. I love crafty stuff but I am soooo bad I get bored of it after a few days :rotfl: Even I should be able to manage this though and I love the pink money pig so i'm going to give that a go! Wish me luck guys!!

Hayley x
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    i love penny do you take orders ?
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm making 2 - one for me & one for mum! Wil try & post piccie when they're done - may get a Sunday paper tomorrow as almost out of media to use, although something appealing about doing the junk mail & using it for sommat useful!

You've used all your old wrapping paper already?? That's it! I must have one of those huge balloons - doubt if I'd even fit the 6 foot one out the garage doors but the 4 foot one would fit! Hmm.... are there laws about retrieving and USING the old newspapers in the municipal recycling containers? :rotfl:
    Isn't papier mache great fun?!
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nyk, sorry to be thick..I don't actually have an artistic bone in my body but we are on our third layer of papier mache (planning to do more than 4 layers): how do you shape the head of the cash cow and penguin? This is what I am told by DS that we are making, althou I could have managed the pig!

OH is helping paint it so not worried about that but shaping it is worrying me. Don't think I've ever built anything that hasn't gone in the bin!
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure