PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bread too dry for sandwiches

Options
I have borrowed a bread maker to see how I get on with it, before I buy!

I have made a couple of lovely loaves, but they seem to go dry very quickly. Is this normal? By the next day they are no good for packed lunch sandwiches. Any suggestions?

(Ps. I make the pack up the night before).

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    yes they do go dry quicker than pre-packed sliced bread, but i wouldnt say they fare any different to fresh shop bought, uncut loaves

ive never noticed that they are too dry after a day though - espec if they have already been made into sandwiches and kept in the fridge overnight

perhaps try adding a little more liquid to your mix?
  • Katinkka
    Katinkka Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    How do you store the bread? We find wrapping it in foil once its cool keeps it fresh for a day or two.
    :heart2:I have a child with autism.:heart2:
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just dug my breadmaker out of the cupboard and it is paddling dough as I speak. I used to find the bread went dry much quicker, but I kept it in a plastic bag once it had cooled and that made it last a little longer. How about, once it has cooled, slicing it and freezing it ready for the sarnies?

I think the thing to remember is that most of us have got used to soft, fluffy, keep for ages bread (because it is full of chemicals and additives) and so we expect it to last for days and days. Maybe it's a combination of finding a way to store your bread for a day or so but remembering to make fresh bread little and often.
  • kindanice
    kindanice Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I have just been storing the loaf in a tupperware box. I haven't been wrapping it up. I think I will try storing it differently - and slicing and freezing it sounds a good idea. Thank you.

And you are so right Ticklemouse, we are used to soft fluffy bread full of unknowns! :eek: I think I was expecting the loaf to stay fresher for longer just because that is what I am used to!
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Kindanice -

I get around this and have a loaf last me a week, by freezing. I slice it when totally cold, freeze in a freezer bag and take out slices for sandwiches as I need them (or toast from frozen, too). I make my lunch in the morning, and by the time my hair's washed etc, the bread has thawed out enough to spread (even if they're a little frozen still, it means the butter doesn't damage it if that's a bit hard!). So an hour or so before you make the sarnies at night, if you take out and space out on the board the slices you need, they'll be fine when you make them. My sandwiches taste like freshly made bread every day!
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually make the smaller loaf (my breadmaker does 2 sizes) so that it doesn't go dry before it's eaten, but I think TM is correct in that bread only lasts a long time because it's pumped full of chemicals etc. :)
    Mink
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Forget sandwiches. Make bread and butter pudding with the slightly stale bread.
  • We_Laugh_Indoors
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    Forget sandwiches. Make bread and butter pudding with the slightly stale bread.
    or failing that make toast.

and lots of it!
    'What's poignancy grandad?'

'It's the cordon bleu of emotions sonny'
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Or failing that, breadcrumb it and freeze it. Then mix it with butter and herbs and stick it on baked mushrooms.

Fatten up a duck on it then eat the duck.

and so on...
    ;)
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find it much better to make a small loaf once or even twice a day so that you are always using fresh bread. Make sure you are adding the full amount of oil and milk to your bread mixture to add softness to the texture. Leaving them out gives a much lighter french type bread which stales very quickly.

Save all your stales and loaf ends for stuffing mixes, treacle tart, queen of puddings, meat balls, bread and butter pudding, or even for bulking up mince in savoury dishes.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure