AMEX Gold vs Platinum Cashback Vs BA Amex?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kamran
    Kamran Posts: 477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anyone know how I can actually transfer my AMEX points to avios and what the conversion rate is? Thanks!
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Kamran wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can actually transfer my AMEX points to avios and what the conversion rate is? Thanks!

You log into the site, go to the Reward section and then go through the offers and choose what you want. Alternatively phone them and they'll do it for you.

Avios as standard is 1:1 for MR points but they do run promotional windows occasionally. From memory last year around November they did 1.25 for Gold, 1.35 for Platinum and 1.5 for Centurion.

Looking at other forums AmEx USA has just started doing some promotional exchange rates so hopefully AmEx UK will do soon too though the two regions dont always follow each other
  • GRM
    GRM Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kamran wrote: »

1) The Gold card is has no fee in year 1 but then charges £125pa, it has airport lounge access (my work involves some but not a whole ton of travel) and one "point" per pound spent - but my question is how valuable is one point? :T

Fairly sure the lounge access is only 2 visits per year, for full lounge access you'll need the £450pa platinum charge card.
  • GMNN
    GMNN Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I decided to join the forum just now though I've been reading threads and Martin's weekly email for several months now..

My questions are related to the original post so I thought I would post on this thread.

I currently have a BA Amex CC (the basic one, no fees) but have been reading about the Amex Gold charge card with the amazing 20,000 MR points introductory offer. I like BA so I would most likely convert the MR points into Avios points, and so if I do get the Gold card I would not need the BA Amex anymore since they would serve the same purpose.

Like many others I'm planning to keep the Gold card for 1 year, canceling it just before the £140 annual fee kicks in. With that in mind, I have the following questions:
    1) Should I cancel my BA Amex if I'm getting the Gold card (which will be used to also get Avios points). If so, does it matter whether I do it before/after I apply for the Gold card? E.g. am I still eligible for the bonus offer on the Gold Amex if I already have the BA Amex?
    2) If I cancel the BA Amex when I get the Gold card, then after a year with the Gold card can I re-apply for the BA Amex and get a new introductory offer (9,000 Avios)?
    3) Will this switching back & forth (i.e. applying for and canceling 2 cards in the span of 12 months) negatively impact my credit rating, e.g. if I'm planning to get a mortgage in the next 2-3 years?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
  • JeffreyR
    Options
    Just spotted this in my daily reading. Maybe you should get at least 2 cards to make sure you get the best deals? A bit of a surprise to be honest - didn't expect this!
    https://smartmoneypeople.com/wire/post/american-express-review
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,008 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't get the 20k bonus points if you have held an amex points card (like the BA one) in the last 6 months, so if you are going for the gold you should cancel the BA one 6 months before applying.

There is a refer a friend scheme for the gold where you get an extra 2k points on the 2k spend if an existing card holder refers you. PM me if you would like a referral.
    I think....
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GMNN wrote: »
    I currently have a BA Amex CC (the basic one, no fees) but have been reading about the Amex Gold charge card with the amazing 20,000 MR points introductory offer. I like BA so I would most likely convert the MR points into Avios points, and so if I do get the Gold card I would not need the BA Amex anymore since they would serve the same purpose.

Like many others I'm planning to keep the Gold card for 1 year, canceling it just before the £140 annual fee kicks in. With that in mind, I have the following questions:
    1) Should I cancel my BA Amex if I'm getting the Gold card (which will be used to also get Avios points). If so, does it matter whether I do it before/after I apply for the Gold card? E.g. am I still eligible for the bonus offer on the Gold Amex if I already have the BA Amex?
    2) If I cancel the BA Amex when I get the Gold card, then after a year with the Gold card can I re-apply for the BA Amex and get a new introductory offer (9,000 Avios)?
    3) Will this switching back & forth (i.e. applying for and canceling 2 cards in the span of 12 months) negatively impact my credit rating, e.g. if I'm planning to get a mortgage in the next 2-3 years?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Like many people I swap between the Gold charge card and BA Amex Premium card (the fee paying card) year in, year out.

Not sure on the impact on your credit rating, but if you are not taking out any other credit-related things (e.g. mobile phone accounts, other non-Amex cards), it can't be that bad. I've not had any problems to date and Amex actually gets to know you better that way.
  • GMNN
    GMNN Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    eagle wrote: »
    Like many people I swap between the Gold charge card and BA Amex Premium card (the fee paying card) year in, year out.

Not sure on the impact on your credit rating, but if you are not taking out any other credit-related things (e.g. mobile phone accounts, other non-Amex cards), it can't be that bad. I've not had any problems to date and Amex actually gets to know you better that way.

But do you get the bonus on each one every time you re-apply? Not sure about the post above yours, I thought I would be eligible for the bonus since the BA Amex is Avios and Gold card is MR..
  • eagle
    eagle Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GMNN wrote: »
    But do you get the bonus on each one every time you re-apply? Not sure about the post above yours, I thought I would be eligible for the bonus since the BA Amex is Avios and Gold card is MR..

Yes, you are exactly right for the reason you suggested.

You won't get the bonus avios on an avios card if you've already held an avios card within the last six months.

You won't get the bonus MR points on a MR card if you've already held a MR card within the last six months.

Only have one of the two card types open at any one time and you should be OK.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    Options
    what did Kamran do in the end? stick to the no longer available Amex Cashback card terms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure