amazon not delivering in outer boxes

Options
The last two deliveries I have had from Amazon didn't come in outer amazon boxes, just the original manufacturer box with the address label and Amazon tape stuck to the outside of it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am not bothered as the items were for myself so I don't mind if the box gets slightly damaged as long as the contents are ok. However it has put me off buying something for a present. I don't really want to be giving presents where the box is torn as I have had to peel my address label off.

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had it loads of times and sometimes other companies too especially if they get shipped from manufacuer. I dont mind but I take your point if its a present, they should be a option
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do they not often say that packaging may reveal what the item is and to tick a box if it is a present?

I know regardless they generally come in boxes but the box is surely there for a purpose?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,934 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 February 2018 at 5:33AM
    Options
    The last two deliveries I have had from Amazon didn't come in outer amazon boxes, just the original manufacturer box with the address label and Amazon tape stuck to the outside of it.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am not bothered as the items were for myself so I don't mind if the box gets slightly damaged as long as the contents are ok. However it has put me off buying something for a present. I don't really want to be giving presents where the box is torn as I have had to peel my address label off.

never has it happened to me and I order from Amazon a lot.
    If you tick the option that it is a gift at checkout, it will always come in an Amazon box. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201936750
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's odd-the last few items I've had delivered were in so much excess packaging I thought they were taking the ... I ordered a multi-socket plug and despite the plug being plug sized, the box it came in was about 30x20x15 cm it was a joke size! The screen protector I bought for my 5 inch phone came in a cardboard pocket which was easily 10 times it's size and similar for the case I purchased with it- it came in it's own box despite being ordered the same time as the screen protector which before anyone suggests crushing as to why it was packaged separately, the screen protectors were sent in their own hard plastic case.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sarah1972 wrote: »
    never has it happened to me and I order from Amazon a lot.

So do I and I have never had this before, in fact I normally have the opposite happen, the box is too large as jenniewb.

I wonder if it is a temporary issue, perhaps they are running low on their box supply.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I had an iron come recently from Amazon with just a sticker on the iron box. Everything else has come packaged in an Amazon box (iron was from Amazon, not marketplace)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Although I don't particularly like advertising to any ne'er do wells that I have just taken receipt of something appealing, I am always glad to receive things without an outbox. Not only is it saving on packaging but I haven't got to find a way to dispose of the excess packaging Particularly if a large box.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I posted this picture the other day..

amazonwiper.jpg

Ordered a set of wipers, had 2 boxes this size and a 3ft long one with a single 13" wiperblade in it.

I was surprised when the driver handed me the boxes and i though there is nothing in it and nothing i had ordered was that big.

The driver said they put them in those boxes to hide the contents, err wiper blades?

In that box just the one wiper and a large chunk of brown paper to stop it rattling around the box.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• rhino_horn
    Options
    This happened to me Christmas 2016...my husband's present, a Roberts Radio delivered in no packaging apart from the Roberts box. Surprise well and truly ruined.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They (and other retailers) often do this for certain types/sizes of items, usually Amazon have it noted that it may arrive in manufacturers packaging.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure