PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

EA doesn't like us speaking directly with Vendors

Options

Comments

• Freecall
    Freecall Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    EAs are employed by the seller, from whom they take their instructions.

Wow! How does that make Surrey_EA a....
    flaming anarchist.
  • PhilE
    PhilE Posts: 566 Forumite
    Options
    Could you point me to the piece of legislation that says a property must be marked as sstc, after offer acceptance, by law?

:rotfl:

As a buyer, I give instructions to the EA and vendor to list the property as 'sold, subject to contract.' Thats the deal, and if you don't like it I take my money somewhere else.

I'm not spending money on surveys and conveyancing if the EA is still listing the property as available. I don't tolerate my time and money being wasted, obviously if I've got a surveyor and solicitor on the case I'm serious about buying.

If the EA and vendor cant extend the simple courtesy of taking the house of the market, they can get stuffed.

Every time I've told a wide boy/girl EA this, they've complied.

Remember, EA's like to think they run the property market. They don't run anything, and when they overstep the mark put them in their place. If you want to invest in property, you need to know this.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PhilE wrote: »
    As a buyer, I give instructions to the EA and vendor to list the property as 'sold, subject to contract.' Thats the deal, and if you don't like it I take my money somewhere else.

I'm not spending money on surveys and conveyancing if the EA is still listing the property as available. I don't tolerate my time and money being wasted, obviously if I've got a surveyor and solicitor on the case I'm serious about buying.

If the EA and vendor cant extend the simple courtesy of taking the house of the market, they can get stuffed.

Every time I've told a wide boy/girl EA this, they've complied.

Remember, EA's like to think they run the property market. They don't run anything, and when they overstep the mark put them in their place. If you want to invest in property, you need to know this.
    As it happens I completely agree that if a seller has agreed to accept an offer for their property from a buyer, and that buyer is proceedable, and the basic terms of the transaction have been agreed upon, then the property should not be available for any further viewings with alternative buyers, and the advert should be marked as 'sstc or u/o.'

I suspect there are few EAs who disagree. Quite frankly, if an offer has been accepted and a sale agreed, why on earth do I want to waste my time, complicate my day and cause further aggravation by continuing to show other people around? Makes no sense, I've got better things to be doing, other properties to try and sell instead.

Feel free to make your demands, but do remember it's the seller who you need to convince.

You've made clear before that you feel aggrieved with your previous experience of a property transaction, but try not to let it cloud your judgement too much, and tar everyone with the same brush.
  • PokerPlayer111
    PokerPlayer111 Posts: 343 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Could you point me to the piece of legislation that says a property must be marked as sstc, after offer acceptance, by law?

:rotfl:

Could you point me to where i said the property must be marked as sstc by law after offer accepted?

I said EA has obligations by law, One obligation is... the agent must not conceal, misrepresent, withhold or delay communicating offers. If a buyer has made the offer with contingency are you saying the contingencies aren't part of the offer?
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    Yes, but the point remains: what recourse do you practically have if you find out that an EA is still showing the property to other potential buyers, even after listing it as sold STC? None, methinks, other than withdrawing your offer and telling them to get lost.
  • PhilE
    Options

Feel free to make your demands, but do remember it's the seller who you need to convince.

Made my terms clear when buying two properties in the last 3 years. Both properties purchased.

Remember, its the buyer who has the money.
  • PhilE
    Options
    One EA continued to advertise my house as for sale, after I had purchased and was living in it. Had to walk in his office, point at the ad of my house and tell him that this was my property, and it wasn't for sale.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, but the point remains: what recourse do you practically have if you find out that an EA is still showing the property to other potential buyers, even after listing it as sold STC? None, methinks, other than withdrawing your offer and telling them to get lost.

Pretty much.

However, further to my earlier post, why do you think an EA is interested in continuing to show a house to other potential buyers when a sale has already been arranged? As far as most EAs are concerned the job is done, now time to concentrate on houses that have yet to find buyers.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    What the EA is interested in wont always match the EAs legal obligations to buyer/seller.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What the EA is interested in wont always match the EAs legal obligations to buyer/seller.

What legal obligations are you refering too?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure