PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenants in common & declaration of trust

Options
My husband and I are buying a house but we will have to let it for a few years before we can live in it.

We are buying as TIC, with me owning 99%, him 1%. This is so that I get the rental income, as I'm a basic rate taxpayer and my husband is higher.

If anything were to happen that forced us to sell, we would want 50/50 of everything, including initial deposits.

In this case, is a declaration of trust required? Or would that only be necessary if we wanted unequal shares upon sale?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In this case, is a declaration of trust required? Or would that only be necessary if we wanted unequal shares upon sale?

As you are married then a financial settlement would need to be agreed that covers all your assets.
  • pootleflump
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    As you are married then a financial settlement would need to be agreed that covers all your assets.

So are you saying a declaration of trust is required?
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you are married

you must own as TIC, not JT, but even so the unequal shares will not be accepted by HMRC for the purposes of income tax unless you submit a Form 17 supported by a DoT

as you will be TIC, you can then alter the split when ready to sell. CGT is based on beneficial ownership, not legal ownership so you will need a new/final DoT to confirm the split on sale

a divorce will override anything you have in place as that will start from 50/50, the rest is acrimony and fighting
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How would your legal ownership affect getting a buy to let mortgage if you need a mortgage to buy?
  • pootleflump
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    you are married

you must own as TIC, not JT, but even so the unequal shares will not be accepted by HMRC for the purposes of income tax unless you submit a Form 17 supported by a DoT

Thank you - that answers my question. I was aware of the need to submit a Form 17 but didn’t know it had to be supported by a DoT.
  • pootleflump
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    How would your legal ownership affect getting a buy to let mortgage if you need a mortgage to buy?

Sorry, not quite sure what you’re asking, but it’s not a BTL mortgage - it’s residential with CTL.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you - that answers my question. I was aware of the need to submit a Form 17 but didn!!!8217;t know it had to be supported by a DoT.
    LOL. How did you miss:

"If you live with a spouse or civil partner and have income from property you jointly own, you!!!8217;ll normally be taxed on an even split of the income between you.

Use this form if you want to change the split of income to your actual share of ownership.

You!!!8217;ll also need to provide evidence that your beneficial interests in the property are unequal, for example a declaration or deed."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-declaration-of-beneficial-interests-in-joint-property-and-income-17
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, not quite sure what you’re asking, but it’s not a BTL mortgage - it’s residential with CTL.

But you aren't going to live in it you are going to let it. Residential mortgages are for people who are going to live in the property straight after they buy it.

Buy to let properties are for people who want to buy a house to let. You are buying a house to let. You aren't going to live in it. You say you may live in it in the future but you aren't buying it to live in straight away so you need a Buy to let mortgage not a residential one.

Have you told your mortgage company that you are not going to be living in the house and are going to let it?
  • pootleflump
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »

Because I haven’t looked the form up yet - I know about it because I was told by a helpful person on this forum.
  • pootleflump
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    But you aren't going to live in it you are going to let it. Residential mortgages are for people who are going to live in the property straight after they buy it.

My question wasn’t about mortgages.

My mortgage is already in place - a residential mortgage with Day One CTL. It’s a concession available to us as a forces family. We’re buying it as our family home but circumstances don’t currently allow us to live in it, so not BTL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure