Maybe Linux!

Options
12346»

Comments

• thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    This morning, I went to the message box, and downloaded as per your instructions, Always. Coincidentally, the ebay purchase arrived mid morning. However, I assume that for either, I have to replicate your Rufus step? If I put a formatted flash drive in, Rufus shows only that in the device space. Or I can get a blank space with no apparent means to enter a target.
    I did hope that by leaving either disc in the reader, they would show as a target, but no. I have also got your download saved in my download folder, in hopes that Rufus would see that, but no.
    Obviously I am still not getting something!

You previously used Rufus to update your machines BIOS but you no longer need to use Rufus because your Dell DVD has arrived.

The download that you have saved to your downloads folder is what you could have used to do the same thing and if you had done that, you would not have needed to purchase the Dell DVD - they both achieve the same result.

Assuming that you have saved anything that you need from your hard disk to another safe place, you need to put the Dell DVD into the drive and reboot the computer to start the Windows installation process.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you thortganby and of course, always, and indeed eshul.
    The purchased Dell disc has done the job, after I opted for Custom install.
    I understand that thanks to the help I have received here, I could have saved on the seven quid. Its coppers guys, plus any dosh that goes to Shooting Star Chase.
    You lot have been life savers, or at least this ancient Dell, and it's equally ancient owner.
  • AlwaysHere
    Options
    Thank you thortganby and of course, always, and indeed eshul.
    The purchased Dell disc has done the job, after I opted for Custom install.
    I understand that thanks to the help I have received here, I could have saved on the seven quid. Its coppers guys, plus any dosh that goes to Shooting Star Chase.
    You lot have been life savers, or at least this ancient Dell, and it's equally ancient owner.

You proved more competent than you suggested initially ;)

The genuine Dell disc gives you the confidence of a genuine install.

Any missing Windows 7 64 bit Drivers can be found here

Windows key + R, paste in devmgmt.msc and hit Ok to get the the Device Manager to see what is missing.
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What a compliment Always.
    Maybe I should set up on these forums alongside you experts.
    Hmm. Maybe not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport