Paid for a course that is not going to run - no refund due to shops change of hands

Options
In February I paid for a bike maintenance course the following month with a local bike shop. The day of the course came around and the shop called me to cancel it. They offered me an alternative date later in the month but I had to decline as I was on holiday. I was then offered a date in April, which I accepted. The day of the course came around again and yet again they cancelled, this time by email. I asked for my money back, but was assured they would run more classes in May and June.

I've just called the store to again request a refund only to be informed it's not their debt to repay as the shop changed hands on April 1st.

Where do I stand in getting this money refunded to me? Do I have any rights here? The company may have changed hands but the new owners were the ones that were apparently running the course in April, and their supposed courses in May and June. How can they take on the running of the course yet not be liable to refund me now they have no intention of it taking place?

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has the shop definitely changed hands, eg was owned by John Smith now owned by Bert Bloggs? Is the trading name the same? Who did you pay your money to?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    amfan wrote: »
    In February I paid for a bike maintenance course the following month with a local bike shop. The day of the course came around and the shop called me to cancel it. They offered me an alternative date later in the month but I had to decline as I was on holiday. I was then offered a date in April, which I accepted. The day of the course came around again and yet again they cancelled, this time by email. I asked for my money back, but was assured they would run more classes in May and June.

I've just called the store to again request a refund only to be informed it's not their debt to repay as the shop changed hands on April 1st.

Where do I stand in getting this money refunded to me? Do I have any rights here? The company may have changed hands but the new owners were the ones that were apparently running the course in April, and their supposed courses in May and June. How can they take on the running of the course yet not be liable to refund me now they have no intention of it taking place?
    How did you pay? By card I hope. Credit or debit card?
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Has the shop definitely changed hands, eg was owned by John Smith now owned by Bert Bloggs? Is the trading name the same? Who did you pay your money to?

The shop is still named the same, there were no big displays outside to suggest new ownership, I simply have their say so on the phone today to go on. I paid my money to the bike shop directly.
  • amfan
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    How did you pay? By card I hope. Credit or debit card?

I did pay by card, but it was debit card and not credit card, so it's my understanding I'm offered no protection on the purchase there?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much was the course?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • amfan
    Options
    How much was the course?

It's not a great deal, £50. But that's £50 that I've paid for something I've not received, it just seems a little unfair that when the course was cancelled in March they offered up April dates probably knowing full well the company was to change hands, and the company are still maintaining they will eventually honour the classes although now they're saying it will be in the Autumn.
  • wealdroam
    edited 19 June 2017 at 4:32PM
    Options
    I did pay by card, but it was debit card and not credit card, so it's my understanding I'm offered no protection on the purchase there?

Have a read of MSE's Chargeback article.

Then speak to your card issuer.
    Take care... you only have [STRIKE]180 days[/STRIKE] to get your claim in.

Ooops... my mistake... it's only 120 days to make a claim.
    You may already be too late but there are exceptions if the service was not due to be provided later - as in your case. Still worth speaking to your bank.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options

I am not sure but I think you would be covered provided the company you bought the course from did actually go bust.

See the following article, in particular "... the clock usually starts ticking when you first notice a problem though it will depend on the type of situation", and iro of a holiday, which has similarities to your situation "You book a flight or trip with a firm that then goes bust before you take it. The deadline starts from the date the flight was due to take off or the holiday to start."

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

I think I would ask the new shop for details of how they took over from the previous company e.g. did they buy the company (in which case they are liable) or only the trading name, in which case you need to find out what happened to the old company. If it went bust I think you can do a chargeback.
  • amfan
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Have a read of MSE's Chargeback article.

Thanks for the info - although the link doesn't go to the correct place, but I did search for the article. I will call the bank and see what they say. Thanks again for the help.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Thanks for the info - although the link doesn't go to the correct place, but I did search for the article. I will call the bank and see what they say. Thanks again for the help.
    Oh dear... link now corrected.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport