PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DPS dispute resolution services – tips for tenants submitting evidence?

Options
My son and his friends are trying to get the return of their student rental deposit, and have to send evidence to the DPS dispute resolution services. I would welcome tips or comments from anyone who has experience of the process.

Their problem is that we don’t know exactly what the landlords will be claiming for, so we don’t know how much to include with our evidence.

We have repeatedly asked the landlord to provide a clear and concise list of their claims, along with evidence, but they haven’t done so.

According to the DPS terms and conditions, the landlord must “tell us [i.e. DPS] the amount of each deduction you wish to make from the Deposit, and the reason why you are making the claim. If you have multiple reasons for requesting deductions, you will need to list all of them”. The landlords haven’t done this, so we think they are in breach of the DPS terms and conditions.

We have always wanted to use the dispute resolution services, as we feel confident of our case, but the landlords steadfastly refused to. They just wanted us to release the whole deposit to them, and have been using bullying/scare tactics. This has worked for them in previous years, where the past tenants have eventually given in to pressure and paid up. We spoke to the University’s Student Union Advice Centre, who confirmed that the landlords are well known to them from previous student complaints. We are trying to get them to give us a witness statement.

We were very pleasantly surprised when the landlords suddenly changed their minds about using the dispute resolution services. I know that it’s up to them to provide the evidence for any deductions. They don’t appear to be very well organised, so I’m hoping that they won’t make a good case.

But what should we submit? Should we try and guess what they might put in for, and give our counter evidence? If we miss something, then we are at risk of losing out.

The landlords did an inspection just before check out, but they identified hardly any issues. We will submit this as evidence.

Then five weeks after the kids moved out, the landlords sent a 13 page list containing 169 points, which bears no resemblance to the pre-check-out inspection. Their claims mostly fall into the categories of new for old/betterment, pre-existing, fair wear and tear, or simply untrue. They’ve sent a few receipts, but some of the dates have been scribbled out, so we think they are for work carried out before our tenancy. We also think they have been deliberately manufacturing claims – we have some proof but I don’t want to give details in case they read this!

We were shell-shocked, but went through those 169 points carefully, and as a result we did release a small amount of the deposit for 4 items that we accepted.

We don't know if the landlords will try and claim for all the remaining points. Should we submit a response to every point just in case, or will it open a can of worms if we bring up issues that the landlords don’t? Maybe we should just pick out some of the key claims and give our response to those.

One of my son's friends created her own time-stamped check-in inventory document, using special tenancy management software, with over 130 photos, and descriptions of “damage” present when they moved in. We can use this to prove that many of the claims were pre-existing (e.g. cracked tiles).

We will also send our photos from the day they vacated the house, showing that it was left in a generally clean and tidy condition.

We also have many emails, which demonstrate the bullying tactics and personal insults that my son and his friends were subjected to.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Comments

• Autumnella
    Options
    When did the tenancy end and has the landlord raised all of the 169 points mentioned with the DPS? Have you tried contacting the DPS and if so what did they say? I would call them and ask that they release the deposit if the landlord hasn't raised the claim with them. It sounds like a reasonable amount of time has passed.

I'm currently in a dispute with my landlord through the DPS. When I logged in to my account on their website it listed the 3 things that the landlord was claiming for. I just had to click if I accepted it or disputed it and for the 2 I disputed it then brought up a box with a brief description on why I disputed this.

They then asked me to send any evidence via e-mail to them. They then refunded me the part that the landlord was not claiming for and paid the landlord the claim I accepted. They still hold the part that is in dispute. This was the end of August, I got an e-mail from them a couple of weeks ago to say they had a backlog with the arbitration service and were still in the process of dealing with the claim.
    Make £10 per day-
    June: £100/£300
  • saver_ali
    saver_ali Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for your comments, which are very interesting. The landlord only stated one deduction, for damage to property contents, but didn't say what they were, just "receipts and invoices will be forwarded". We released a small amount, and the rest is in dispute.

We emailed the DPS to say we were at a disadvantage as we didn't know what we were defending. They didn't respond, so I phoned them today. They said there was nothing they could do to help. We would just have to submit everything and anything!

We are going to put a statement at the top of our evidence to say we believe the landlords to be in breach of the DPS Ts & Cs and ask them to award the remaining deposit to us.

We're still going to have to submit our evidence in case that doesn't work!

From your comments it looks like this will take a long time to resolve. 🙁
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has the LL got any photos of the damage from when they moved out - never mind his receipts and descriptions?

If no, and according to you, you have photos of moving in and moving out days, then your case is pretty rock solid.

The LL evidence of their leaving-day inspection is the crucial part, not something weeks later.

Don't fret - you'll win this easily if what you said is true.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What you need to do is share your response to the 169 points raised. Share the contract (in case he tries to show another), the check in inventory (in case he shares another one), and check out inventory. If you have any pictures, include them.
  • saver_ali
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I will include the tenancy agreement and various inventories then. I hadn't thought that they might send in different ones! Luckily their pre-exit inspection report was by email and therefore the date is proven.

I will also include our response to the 169 points. I pity the Adjudicator having to wade through it all, but we have drafted a covering statement, listing the main points.

The landlords have sent us quite a few photos, but with no labelling so it's hard to tell what they are of. I hope they are as disorganised when they submit their defence. Quite a lot of their photos can be countered with our check-in photos as pre-existing damage.

We do worry that they will submit receipts and invoices that have been "doctored", but the best we can do is send in the ones that we know are false, and ask the Adjudicator to carefully scrutinise any others that are submitted.

Thanks again. I will post the result on here, but the DPS have a backlog so I think it will be a long time before this is decided.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you intend to counteract claims referring to check in photos, make sure you label these well.

Remember that the person who will read it will know nothing of your situation, will have a huge workload and little time for each case. The easier to refer to each, the better change. I would put an index cover page to refer to the main counter claims.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    i did this in April for my brother and sister.
    once we requested deposit paid back, landlord agreed to partial, and wanted £500 for repairs, and listed two items. We then disputed, and agreed to the dispute (where decision made is final)
    so, we started with evidence - all emails to and from, telephone calls, photos etc. the inventory form moving and and out are both very important. you only have one chance to submit the evidence,, so make sure everything you want in there is in. focus on the WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY and HOW, and you should be able to cover everything.

once you know what they claiming for, get your own quotes for that item/repair. landlords cannot replace old for new, cannot claim wear and tear

are the inventories done by a third party? was both inventories done within a day of you moving in/out? this too will help your case. if it is not done by a third party, and if the dates it were done were well before/past your tenancy dates. how long were you tenants for? again, the longer the time will help your case

i went through DPS.... on their site they had a lot of case studies, which was very helpful in making my case, which was reduced to a payment of £50 only to the landlord
  • saver_ali
    Options
    Thanks for the further, very helpful comments. The DPS guidance is very useful, especially the sample adjudications.

Unfortunately we can't get access to the property to get our own quotes as the landlord wont allow it. New tenants are already there.

The landlords' inventories are their own homemade ones. They did a pre checkout inspection with nothing major highlighted, so we're going to contrast that with their final inspection, completed a week after we left, in our absence, which introduced many new serious problems.

We will label and cross reference everything. Thanks for the tip.

Do you think the Adjudicator will read through everything? We've tried to summarise everything in a statement, which is about 15 pages, plus other documents to refer to (photos etc).
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    saver_ali wrote: »
    Unfortunately we can't get access to the property to get our own quotes as the landlord wont allow it. New tenants are already there.
    Unfortunately you wouldn't have the right to do that even if the property was empty. The time for getting work for quotes would be before the tenancy ended, although I do appreciate that you had no knowledge of the proposed deductions beforehand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure