NWS Bank - Creditcare

Options
Hi there, Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I am new to this!

We bought a car on HP back in 1996 and were told that we had to take out their "Creditcare" insurance in order to get the finance. NWS Bank doesn't seem to exist any more, the car dealership does still exist and they filled out the paperwork (which I have).

So, my question is my claim with NWS Bank (and if so does anyone know who owns them now??) or the car dealership?

Thanks in advance for any advice / help.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You complain to the dealership who sold you the finance, the provider has no liability unless it was their agent that sold it to you.

When you complain they will dismiss it as pre-regulation as it was in 1996 (regulation started in 2005) and your complaint will be over.

Whether you feel it's worth wasting your time submitting a complaint that will be rejected with no come back is up to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks, but that's not what I understood from MSE guidelines, below.

"There's NO time limit on how far back you can go to make a PPI claim; the only problem may be the paperwork
    You can complain about a product sold at any time though here are some guidelines which may help. It's easier if your insurance was active in the last six years, but don't let this put you off.

If your policy ended over six years ago: The 'statute of limitations' means banks don't need to keep records that are over six years old. However, there is no official cut-off time so if you've still got the paperwork – while your chances of success are a little lower with older loans – many still do successfully reclaim.

We've had many successes going back to the early 1990s"

Maybe I have misunderstood.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    However, it is the dealership that sold you this "Creditcare" insurance, and they were not regulated until 2005.

You can make a complaint to the dealer, but they will dismiss it.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 'statute of limitations' means banks don't need to keep records that are over six years old. However, there is no official cut-off time so if you've still got the paperwork
    A bank didn't sell you anything.

When making a mis-selling complaint, you would need to complain to the seller.
    In your case that would be the dealership.

As they no longer exist, you have no one to complain to.

Even if they did still exist, they were not regulated at the time and so would have been able to simply dismiss your complaint.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    goochie wrote: »
    the car dealership does still exist
    See above
    Even if they did still exist
    They do:D
    they were not regulated at the time and so would have been able to simply dismiss your complaint.
    Yes, over two decades on, I fully expect any complaint to be rejected by the dealership as pre-regulation. The complaint is a very weak one anyway as there will be no evidence to suggest the OP was told the insurance was compulsory.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    goochie wrote: »
    Thanks, but that's not what I understood from MSE guidelines, below.

"There's NO time limit on how far back you can go to make a PPI claim; the only problem may be the paperwork
    You can complain about a product sold at any time though here are some guidelines which may help. It's easier if your insurance was active in the last six years, but don't let this put you off.

If your policy ended over six years ago: The 'statute of limitations' means banks don't need to keep records that are over six years old. However, there is no official cut-off time so if you've still got the paperwork !!!8211; while your chances of success are a little lower with older loans !!!8211; many still do successfully reclaim.

We've had many successes going back to the early 1990s"

Maybe I have misunderstood.

The MSE site is frequently flowery with the facts and ignores technical details.

You can complain back as far back as the law allows. Banks and similar financial institutions were regulated through older regulatory codes so have to consider old complaints. Companies like car dealerships were not regulated until 2005 so can ignore complaints about sales prior to this date
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who replied!
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They do:D
    Oops, skim reading . . I'm blaming it on the hot weather! :o

:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills