Investigating increased electricity usage whilst changing supplier

Options
hatt55
hatt55 Posts: 41 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Due to the impending price rise from SSE, I started the ball rolling for changing my supplier today. In order to do that, I had a closer than usual look at my bills. They're quarterly and I’ve noticed that for the period between March and June I’ve used 50-60 kwh more than during the preceding two quarters. This strikes me as a bit odd given that it’s been spring/summer and I would therefore expect the usage to be less (heating is gas though). None of my appliances have changed and my routine should be pretty similar. My usage is – I think – fairly low (in the region of 280-300kwh for the first two quarters) and the direct debit has always been more than needed, so beyond that I didn’t pay too much attention to the actual usage figures - until now!

There are lots of helpful threads about people in similar positions with suggestions for checking different appliances etc., maybe getting a portable meter. So, I’ll keep a close eye on the existing meter and see if the next few months still seem to be on the high side.

If it’s none of those things, the last resort seems to be to contact the supplier and get them to check the meter. I was just wondering if the fact that I’m about to change supplier could impact how easy it would be to go down that route, if needed? I have the previous bills from SSE, which show the jump up in usage, and I also have photos of the meter each month from when I took a reading. But, the new supplier would only know what I’m using after I switch, which will potentially be this higher amount. Would it just be a case of passing on the bills from SSE to the new supplier and they would then need to deal with it?

Any info much appreciated. Don’t think I’m going to start turning appliances on and off at 11pm on a Sunday night – that’s for another day!

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    50-60 units in a quarter is very low - less than 1 unit a day. It will be difficult to see where this is.

It could be a fridge/freezer getting older; a light bulb left on overnight; tv on standby/mobile chargers ...........................

Do read your meters regularly, give them to your supplier online, check your bills and keep your own records.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    hatt55 wrote: »
    Due to the impending price rise from SSE, I started the ball rolling for changing my supplier today. In order to do that, I had a closer than usual look at my bills. They're quarterly and I’ve noticed that for the period between March and June I’ve used 50-60 kwh more than during the preceding two quarters. This strikes me as a bit odd given that it’s been spring/summer and I would therefore expect the usage to be less (heating is gas though). None of my appliances have changed and my routine should be pretty similar. My usage is – I think – fairly low (in the region of 280-300kwh for the first two quarters) and the direct debit has always been more than needed, so beyond that I didn’t pay too much attention to the actual usage figures - until now!

There are lots of helpful threads about people in similar positions with suggestions for checking different appliances etc., maybe getting a portable meter. So, I’ll keep a close eye on the existing meter and see if the next few months still seem to be on the high side.

If it’s none of those things, the last resort seems to be to contact the supplier and get them to check the meter. I was just wondering if the fact that I’m about to change supplier could impact how easy it would be to go down that route, if needed? I have the previous bills from SSE, which show the jump up in usage, and I also have photos of the meter each month from when I took a reading. But, the new supplier would only know what I’m using after I switch, which will potentially be this higher amount. Would it just be a case of passing on the bills from SSE to the new supplier and they would then need to deal with it?

Any info much appreciated. Don’t think I’m going to start turning appliances on and off at 11pm on a Sunday night – that’s for another day!

Only your current supplier will investigate the meter accuracy.

So if you change supplier, you will have to request that from the new supplier.

The new supplier won't be too interested in what you used with your previous supplier, but that should not affect your request for a meter accuracy test.
    Note, suppliers often charge in advance for an accuracy test because so many people claim the only explanation for their high bills can be as a result an inaccurate meter, when the evidence from testing often shows the meter to be accurate.

However, if after testing, the evidence in your case proves the meter to be inaccurate, then the charge applied will be refunded and your supplier will make an adjustment for any overcharging they made.
    It will be up to you to complain to any previous supplier, and the main difficulty, I guess, you will have by then will be proving when your meter originally developed the fault.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Were your previous bills based on actual readings or estimates. You can usually tell by checking if there's an A=Actual, E=Estimate or C=Customer against the readings.

It often happens when someone suddenly starts taking an interest in their bill that they find that there are loads of estimates and the catch-up seems to be excessive.

If you read your meter yourself more often (at least once a month) and send the readings into your supplier then you'd have a much better idea of what you use and when. You can also get any estimated bills corrected so you don't get a rolling deficit

Most suppliers will charge you around £60-£80 to test your meter, which will get refunded if if it's found to be faulty.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • hatt55
    hatt55 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the information.

I have been putting in a meter reading every month so they shouldn't be estimated, although for the life of me I can't find the monthly readings on the SSE website, only those when the bill was issued. Luckily I have my photos from the when I took the reading.

Having posted, one I did realise was that I had a 4 day spell with a dehumidifier left on due to some plumbing work. It still doesn't quite seem to tally with the readings, but perhaps that's enough to just push things up a bit.

So the test will be whether the next quarter has the same issue when (fingers crossed) there's no further plumbing work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure